Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2021-01-10 17:11:51

@Hami 

Any idea when will this be done? The TpLink APP very helpfully shows that the current TPLink Mesh Network is using similar channels as my neighbours which is becoming very congested. But it does NOT automatically select channels that are less congested as TpLink claims that it will.

When will this be patched? Otherwise I'm giving up on my TpLink system and switching to a new Wifi 6 Mesh. Probably using Xiaomi.

Options
2021-01-13 16:22:32

@TP-Link_Deco Where developers in implementing manual channel change functionality?

Options
2021-01-13 16:59:28

@TP-Link_Deco I appreciate your comment that this may not be the best, but it's not as bad as we are telling you it is... We are real users, consumers of your technology. Using these technologies in the real world, outside of labs and office spaces you may use to test. 

The truth, we are all experiencing the same issue. These deco devices choose the most congested channels. The software doesn't appear to choose the least congested channel. We have no way to override this channel selection and are asking for a solution. 

Your competitors features are either working correctly or they offer the ability to manually override the channel selection. 

My guess is that we will not see a resolution. I suspect all R&D efforts are focused on newer technologies. 

From my perspective I will not buy additional tplink products, nor will I replace my M9's with a newer tplink technology. The experience with these has been poor from the start, and support has been terrible. I also will not recommend tplink products to friends and family, or my customers (I work in tech and am often consulted). 

Lastly, the advertising by tplink stating these devices choose the least congested channels automatically is simply not true. I call this false advertising. 

Options
2021-01-20 21:57:49

I'm glad I found this topic before my purchase.

I was about to buy a Deco X20 3-way set.

But changing the channels myself is something I absolutely need.

And if I read that it will even select something like channel 4, instead of using 1,6,11 (the only ones that don't interfere), it makes me feel horrified.

I'll look at alternatives.

Options
2021-01-25 17:16:02

@TP-Link_Deco 

Could you please tell me has the firmware been done to enable manual channel selection?

I see the original reply waps sept 2020,

We now near feb 2021.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Options
2021-01-25 18:52:19 - last edited 2021-01-26 03:57:32

@_Btree019_ Sadly you'd have better luck trying to get blood from a stone than TP-Link @TP-Link_Deco getting back with a legitimate response and/or fixing this bug. They've already said they will not fix this bug and refuse to get back to people without a false promise of a statment. 

I've had horrible issues lately. I needed to turn them off and fall back on an older router because if this channel control bug.

Options
2021-01-26 00:29:22

@Hami I've had beyond horrible mesh network speeds lately. Unsure why, but I think because my neighbour probably bought a TpLink mesh network too. Getting about 15-40mbps, which is pretty bad if there are 4 people on the network at the same time trying to stream videos, zoom etc.

I've switch to another brand of mesh networking. Wifi 6 mesh for 50quid per node on Amazon. A certain Chinese brand that goes H****i. Fantastic speeds, getting about 200mbps now. I haven't tried manually switching Wifi Channels yet, but haven't had the need to do so. Fantastic price for a Wifi 6 mesh. Can't be happier. :D 

Options
2021-01-26 00:31:42

@Anon0 A certain chinese brand, (H****i) has a wifi 6 mesh at 50quid per node on Amazon. The model is Ax3. I just bought it last week to replace my Deco M5. Can't be happier. my network speeds changed from 30mbps avg to about 200mpbs now. Hope this is helpful.

Options
2021-01-26 01:27:29 - last edited 2021-01-27 06:41:45

@kfcislif3 

Hi, thanks for all your kind feedback.

Currently, I am afraid there is no plan to support manually changing the wireless channel on the Deco M9 Plus.

And the firmware 1.5.0 of Deco M9 plus is around the corner which would support network optimization and help us improved the wireless condition of the mesh network;

Moreover, the latest Deco APP supported Wi-Fi assistant which would help analyze the wireless condition as well.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Options
2021-01-26 03:55:47

TP-Link wrote

@kfcislif3 

Hi, thanks for all your kind feedback.

Currently, I am afraid there is no plan to support manually changing the wireless channel on the Deco M9 Plus.

And the firmware 1.5.0 of Deco M9 plus is around the corner which would support network optimization and help us improved the wireless condition of the mesh network;

Moreover, the latest Deco APP supported Wi-Fi assistant which would help analyze the wireless condition as well.

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

@TP-Link please please stop marking these with solutions. 

What could have been a great product has been turned into a joke! The team has tip toed around the bug (yes bug!) for a year now and all it's done is pushed people away. 

If the company could have come out in the first place and said they were not fixing this bug then at least it would look better than putting peoples hopes up. 

I've always loved the TP-Link brand but this past year has shown that customer support is a joke and that looking after its client base and fixing something that is desperately needed is not of concern. 

In professional wifi nobody and I mean NO LARGE COMPANY would EVER rely on automatic channel selection. This is not professional and to put all the effort into this rather than giving control is an out right cry that support doesn't care. 

What epic and disappointing show of support for its customers!

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles