Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2021-06-20 15:24:02
When I bought the M9 Plus, before studying almost everything about this "hub", I never thought that the channel was a problem for them...

I have a smart house, but I can't use half of my equipment, in Brazil we pay 6x the price of the items, and now I have a white elephant...

I live in a place far from the others, I have no problem with interference, before furnishing the house I already had this problem, device by device... How will you solve the problem?? 

Options
2021-07-21 12:32:18

@TP-Link_Deco

hi

I understand the difficulties you mention in selecting the channels manually and why you would want to "hide" it from the user. may I suggest some compromise that would fit most of users and keep the difficulties you mention hidden?

I think most of the people wishing to configure the channels manually are doing so not because they want a very specific channel just because they like the number or something - it would usually be because the automatically selected channel is a bad choice. not saying your algorithms are bad :) they simply cant always have the hind sight the user has.

for example, the hidden station problem - my deco is in the house and selecting automatically the default channel 36 (on the 5GHz band) because it is quiet around it. same goes with my neighbours's APs. so close to the AP, indeed  the channel selection sounds or, however when I go a few meters away (to the yard for example), the interference I have is significant. so without asking the stations what they hear in their scan on top of what the AP itself hear - there is no way your algorithm could solve this problem, but the user can. AFAIK this kind of thing isnt supported by the 802.11 at the moment.

so my suggested solution: give me an option to tell the AP which channels to exclude from the list. let it select automatically from all of the rest.

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2021-07-24 23:36:20

The answer from uplink is rubbish.

It is obvious if you use a channel scanner that the device  does NOT automatically choose the best channel.

When  I scanner my area I can see about 10 Wi-Fi devices all on same channel and no devices on other channels.

Also the signal strength from my neighbour's devices is stronger than the signals from my second when I am sitting 3 metre away from it in the same room.

How can a neighbour's Wi-Fi which is more than 30 metres away have a stronger signal than my own device.

Before I changed to the deck I could change channels and got good Wi-Fi when close to the device even though I got lousy signal in other locations but now I just get the same lousy Wi-Fi everywhere

Options
2021-07-26 22:37:01

@Hami They dont care about the costumers all they want is to sell new products i have tp link deco m4 and same problems so I will change my tp link devices for another brand Stay away from tp-link

Options
2021-07-28 15:32:46

@TP-Link_Deco Well 10 months later and where is this update?

Options
2021-07-28 15:42:28

@DanScanMan 

DanScanMan wrote

@TP-Link_Deco Well 10 months later and where is this update?

@TP-Link_Deco @TP-Link lied about making needed changes to this. They continue to sell the product with this known bug. I've now removed these from my parents and a friend. Their automatic channel selection is horrible and support is even worse to fix this well-known issue. They've given up and are refusing to fix this issue.

Options
2021-07-28 16:05:42

I had posted a message on this problem. I upgraded the firmware on the unit 2 or 3 months ago and have had no problems at all since. There has been no need to change the channel. Anyone havng problems should insure they have the latest firmware. I am unsubscribing because this topic from my perspective is answered with the firmware update and is now invalid. I hope this helps and best of luck.

Options
2021-08-05 02:50:42

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

When will the new firware be available that we can change the channel please? It has been almost a year.

I need this function badly in order to reduce the influence from the situated neighborhood networks.

This is a huge problem and if we can't have the capability, I may need to switch to a different brand in order for fix it.

Regards,

Terence

Options
2021-08-05 09:52:15

@TerenceWong 

I guess you didn't read the whole thread (although I can't blame you, with such a long thread full of disappointed user messages) but it's just NOT coming as has been confirmed by TP-link themselves.

Options
2021-08-11 16:14:44

@TP-Link_Deco 

My problem is I have two devices that only work on channels 1-9 and the Deco M5s that I own have chosen to work on channel 12. So those devices cannot see the network at all. My M5s run in AP mode, so I have to turn on my router's WiFi and change the channel on that in order to access those two particular devices. Rather defeats the object of the system don't you think?

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles