Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2021-08-13 20:37:43 - last edited 2021-08-13 20:51:40

@TP-Link In wirered access point mode it would make sense to set different channel for each access point to avoid interference and increase the throughput. Earlier I purchased a TP-Link Omanda mesh system where each access point uses a different channel and is manually configurable. I was surprised to see that the Deco system i purchased today did not do this. 

Options
2021-08-13 22:11:41 - last edited 2021-08-13 22:15:01

@JohnIvar re: it would make sense to set different channel for each access point 

Not really.  One main point of a mesh is to have seamless transfer of a mobile device as it moves around ... and the device doesn't know which access point it is using.  The access points are supposed to use their "back haul" (whether wired or not) to coordinate the hand-off of a client from one to another.

I doubt clients would seamless transfer (say, while streaming a video) if the channel changed in the middle of it.

I do wonder about the 'robustness' or 'stability' of TP-link's "hand-off", though.  I find that my fixed-location devices (e.g. doorbell, outdoor camera, etc.) don't consistently show up on the same Deco unit, even when the signal strength shows stronger when it is on one vs. another.

Options
2021-09-15 19:44:41

@TP-Link_Deco 

Is there any possibility to change the channel yet.

TP-Link_Deco wrote

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Options
2021-09-15 19:54:18

@Dan_C. 

A wired backhaul with access points at different wireless channels works good with TP-link Omanda controller, and the client is smoothly transferred from one access point to another. A similar system set-up could be configured with TP-link Deco if the vendor decided. 

Options
2021-09-21 20:11:04

@TP-Link_Deco I have the w3600 and I can't change the channel either. 

If changing the channel is not a good idea then why are other companies letting people change it on their products? 

If tp link does not want us to change the channels then at least have your system have an auto scan, where it will scan all channels on 2.4G and 5G and 6G to find the best channel for strength and speed for each of the G's? 2.4G 5G 6G.

Because what is good at the factory is not or may not be good at each person's home or work. Thous, an auto scan would make sure that each person's system is put on the best channel for them. All we would have to do is hit "Auto Scan" when we want and the system would put it on the best channel for them after scanning and finding the best as far as strength and speed.

Why is your system the only one that does not let us change?

What do you think about the auto scan?

Options
2021-10-13 11:51:22
If this could be truncated to only 1-9 that would be more helpful. Thanks
Options
2021-10-13 13:11:02

Reality. This will never change. I've lost respect for TP Link as an organization, and for their products. If they cannot listen to customer feedback, provide updates and guidance, not to mention support is poor at best from the calls I've made. 

Let's be honest here, TP Link will not be supporting this solution much longer, nor will they be providing any significant updates to feature/functionality. 

Options
2021-10-26 21:08:38

@Hami 

As i said in twiter, this new router are horrendous, i cant do anything, i have trouble with channels and cant do that simply task of select one...

on top of that I can't return the product, they scammed me

that hard is to do a lite mode for newbie users and an advanced mode for the rest of us?

there is any custom firmware on the wild?

Options
2021-11-03 16:13:24
It DOES NOT choose a better channel automatically. I can show you a screenshot where the Deco Lab shows HIGH INTERFERENCE. I'm having dropped connexions now a few times per day... can't change the %?&* channel.
Options
2021-11-03 16:14:20
Ridiculous how the Mesh router system does a POOR JOB AT AUTOMATICALLY choosing a different channel.
Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles