Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-01-05 18:51:54

@SimonV Probably no firmware update coming. Even the firmware that I was provided sets the channel to 149 and I've never seen it change abeit there is not much interference in my area.

SimonV wrote

@Combatsheep it seems there is a firmware Update on the way. See post 2 weeks ago

Options
2020-01-05 19:06:35

@Xinseo but the firmware sets the Deco's to use channels from 149 and above?

If that is the case then it's good enough, cause most WiFi systems like Apple TV, smart TVs, Xbox, sound systems, etc, will run on a lower channel. 

Options
2020-01-05 19:13:03

@SimonV 

Most devices from the US will run fine on Band 1 or Band 4. But mobile phones in my country (Pakistan) only support Band 4 (149-161).

Options
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-01-06 21:36:16

TP Link 

When will you be able to change the Wi-Fi channel in app?

Options
2020-01-07 15:54:13

@Hami @Kevin_Z

Well. Clearly the "theoretical" statement that the Deco chooses the best channel is false. It does not even seem to use the tribands properly and a large swath of the bands are empty. 

A quick scan, which I assumed per definition a modern Mesh network applicance should perform, shows the most beginner setup misstake of all, which is to use the standard channels. 

Any beginner of Wifi Setup would see that large bands are unused. Channel 11 and 36 has 6 nodes sharing the bandwitdth and thus reducing maximum throughput to roughly 1/3 33% of what could be possible. 

(For netwok beginners: A channel is like a room where the Wifi rules 802.xxx states that only one person can speak at a time and thus the fewer persons in a room the more communication can happen. Different networks in same channel/rooms means several languages are spoken but you will only be able to understand you local language. Moving a meeting to empty room is a no brainer for anyone). 

I have walked around my three floored house 170m2 with the scanner measuring my network "Ratatoskr" and the picture below is valid for most of the locations. 

I'm quite OK to choosing channel if the products are truly a modern mesh appliance, which this does not seem to be... yet. 

Images -  Scan done on Network "ratatoskr" with "WiFi Commander". 

Basement

Middlefloor

Upstairs

Johan Hagström

CIO Hyperion

Options
2020-01-20 08:43:52

@JohanH 

well TP link don't even appear to be responding now to use requesting this. Negative review submitted to Amazon with a clear explanation of why this product isn't fit for purpose until basic things are fixed.

Options
2020-01-31 18:22:50

@Kevin_Z 

Sadly, the Deco does not pick the best channel.  It always seems to pick the most overcrowded channel in the neighborhood.

For example, there are 8 SSIDs on my street, all crammed into the same channel.  

Rebooting Deco doesn't help - it picks up the same overcrowded channel time and time again.

Surely, implementing the selection of a 2G and 5G Channel shouldn't be that difficult - most router products have this capability out of the box.

Options
2020-02-01 18:52:06

@Cheshire_Mafia I have just bought the P9 home package. I am unable to change the channel or bandwidth. My bandwidth needs to be increased to 80 or I am restricted to around 100mb but have 367mb going to the router....sending back and a poor review being left.

Options
2020-02-06 11:20:04

@Hami 

I have 2x Deco M5 (V3 1.3.4 Build 20191012 Rel. 52072) and 2x Deco M9 (V2 1.2.10 Build 20190809 Rel. 54285).

I have tried almost everything to update my Decos. With M9 it should be possible with a USB stick but nothing happened. I cannot open the web gui. The Deco app keeps saying that my Decos are up-to-date.

Can someone tell me how I can get the update done?

Options
2020-02-19 15:02:17

I have the exact same problem with a 6 pcs DECO P7 wifi network which cost me a fortune. angry

The mesh functionality is absolutely useless because all the Decos select the SAME set of 2.4/5GHz channels. Yes it is really true - and they even do this when there are several other available channels in our area.

I am very unhappy that I trusted TP Link's reputation and believed that I would receive a good product. On surface, it looks good, and it has a very nice physical design - but the functionality has a severe flaw which makes the Deco a big disappointment.

TP-LINK, please don't treat your customers this way.  We need you to provide a firmware update. .

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles