Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-10 13:20:57 - last edited 2019-02-10 14:16:07

Hello,

I purchased a tp-link Archer C50 2 days ago, and am noticing some really strange things. (I am on 100 Mbps plan)

1> The download speed reflected by Ookla is less than 50 % (around 25 to 35, max 40 Mbps) of what is offered by wired connection to router.

2> The upload speed reflected by Ookla is very high (around 90 to 95 Mbps).

3> If the phone is under the blanket, the signal strength is dropped by 1 bar even if the router is very close. (tested on 5Ghz only). I do have another wifi router in same room operating on 2.4 Ghz band.

On LAN connection :-

D/L Speed (Ookla) :- Around 60 to 70, max 80 Mbps

U/L Speed (Ookla) :- 80 to 90 Mbps (Always higher than U/L Speed)

On Wi-Fi using Archer C50 :-

D/L Speed (Ookla) :- Around 25 to 35 Mbps 

U/L Speed (Ookla) :- Around 90 Mbps 

The download speed is much lower than the d/l speed using wired connection, and always the upload speed is very high. 

I wanted to know :-

1> How do I increase the download speed via wireless to its maximum capacity ?

2> How can I increase the download speed and the signal strength ? 

3> Why is the U/L speed always higher than the D/L speed from my ISP ? 

SpeedTest Results Using Wi-Fi :-

Results of SpeedTest (via Ethernet) :-

Options
14 Reply
Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-10 14:53:47
What are your speeds if you connect the PC via ethernet cable direct to the modem? Does you PC support fast speeds? If the up load is still higher than the down load start with the modem and ISP. I have a C8 and the Comcast 150 plan. I just ran the Ookla test and got 25 ping, 179 down and 12 up. That is about what I would expect for my speed tier. A bit lower when traffic is heavy. Also try different cables.
Options
Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-10 16:49:16

In my first post, the results of speedtest (on a pc connected directly to Modem via ethernet cable) are posted. Also, if my pc doesnt support high speed data, how is the upload speed able to reach near that limit and not download speed ? My pc is a custom gaming rig so I dont think it would have such kind of issues to not support high speed data via ethernet. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-10 21:31:05
Since the pc is connected to the modem, the issue is not in the router. Is it the modem or your ISP? Unplug the modem and wait 60 sec before plugging it back in. Wait a bit as it may signal the ISP to download some software. Test again. If you still have an issue, contact your ISP.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-11 00:37:02

But why is the download speed only reduced so much over wifi and upload speed same as wired when connected via router ?

Options
2019-02-11 02:57:44

Hello, for your information, the download and upload speed you get from the modem directly is necessary. if the up load is still higher than the down load from the modem and ISP, the C50 is not the root cause.

Besides, it is suggested to follow the instruction to do further troubleshooting and narrow down the issue. https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2170.html

Options
Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-11 06:38:05

Hello,

Keeping aside the difference in ul speed and download speed, why is the wireless speed 30 mbps and wired speed 75 mbps ? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-11 13:20:10
The issue from the modem or ISP may be a contributing cause. Get that resolved, and then see if the WIFI has an issue. WIFI is generally slower than wired. The issue could be in your PC as it may have an old slow WIFI card. 2.4 ghz is slower than 5 ghz. Other attached WIFI devices can slow it down. Other wireless devices such as security cameras, cordless phones, and such can interfere with the WIFI signal. Even other WIFI in the area. The channel used by the router is also a factor.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-12 09:09:07

Heya,

Got my archer c50 replaced two times.. first time with a refurb and second time with new one.. all three units showed same results..

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed
2019-02-12 13:33:22
Get the modem/ISP issue resolved? Once resolved, then see if you still have the WIFI/connected issue.
Options
2020-05-01 04:08:37

@CoffeeLake 

We have around 300 Archer C50 in our network, and all that you say it is true.

At the box, we can read till 700Mbps, NEVER, We have same problem, if you are closed to this router you can get by wifi, 80/90 Mpbs, if you are at 20 mtrs, without walls in the midle, 35/40 but our customers have 200 Mps, only can get it by cable.

Please solve it, or we never buy your products again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 7573

Replies: 14

Related Articles