TP-Link color bulbs or Hue color starter kit????
2019-02-14 13:08:48 - last edited 2019-02-14 20:46:46

Really torn here. I want to get at least 3 color bulbs for my son's room for Xmas. Alexa control is critical. I've narrowed it down to the Philips Hue 4-bulb starter kit ($140 on Amazon, includes their bridge) or 3 x TP-link color bulbs ($37/each = $111). I already have a number of TP-link products (3 white bulbs, some outlet switches), so I'm familiar with their Kasa app, which is nice enough. I'm a little more concerned with the security aspect of wi-fi connected IoT devices (TP-link) vs. Zigbee-connected (Hue), but I figure both companies (TP-Link, Philips) are reasonably reputable, so maybe a wash? Additional TP-link bulbs are cheaper, but I've heard great things about the Hue app and their ease of use and programmability. Plus Hue offers an LED strip light product, TP-link doesn't, which might be nice to add in the future. Hue seems to have really strong support with IFTTT, though TP-Link is adding functionality there too. TP-Link bulbs turn right back on at the last setting if you turn them off/on by the light switch - does Hue do that too? The Hue bridge has to be hard-wired via Ethernet, which would complicate isolating all my IoT devices on a separate vLAN, but that's mostly a minor issue. Any other pros/cons worth considering?https://appsync.biz/solitaire/ Mobdro AnyDesk

Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link color bulbs or Hue color starter kit????
2019-02-15 07:41:13

per I read, the TP-link smart devices support secured wifi network only and can be controlled locally and remotely by kasa app. It is compatible with Alexa and Google assistant also. 

And there are some advanced features supported, like schedule, timer, presets.

There is a power strip available as well, which is called HS300. https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5516_HS300.html 

Options