Acer V15 Nitro crashes Archer C7 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-02-20 10:05:19
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi @all,

My Acer V 15 Nitro keeps crashing the router and modem in the span of a few minutes to several hours (such that, obviously, the connection of any other device that is using this router will be compromised), after which I have to reset both the router and the modem to get them working again. After reconnecting my laptop, the whole cycle begins again and some days I find myself resetting the router tens of times and not being able to get any work done.

I know for a fact the problem lies within the combination of laptop-router as:

• the router does not crash when any other devices connect to it (Phones, laptops, pcs), only when the Acer laptop connects
  • the laptop does not crash any other routers or hotspot connections (connecting to a cafe's WiFi or to my phone's hotspot works just fine)
  • when connecting laptop through ethernet, internet works fine

I have tried:

• updating both the router and the laptop to the latest drivers/ firmwares
  • reinstalling the drivers
  • reinstalling the network adapter, using static ip address
  • unchecking the checkbox for "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" setting from Device Manager -> Network adapters -> Qualcom Atheros
  • changing the Wireless Mode
  • changing Roaming aggressiveness
  • changing the Preferred band
  • resetting router to factory-default settings
  • replacing the router altogether
  • changing the network profile from private to public
  • turning off "Use random address for this network"
  • asking the ISP for help (they were of no use, though they tried their best)

Some days the connection works just fine and no crashes take place, but when I try to upload large amounts of data (500 Mb - 2 Gb) the router will definitely crash. More precisely, whenever I try to upload photos with WeTransfer; Crashes have also happened when I try to watch movies or even when opening multiple tabs in a short period of time.

I've read that my laptop could be making my router think that it is under a DDos attack. Is that a possibility?

Another thing I've read is that the Qualcom Atheros network adapter could be a bad match with the Archer C7. If that is the case, what solution would you recommend?

I honestly don't know what else to try besides maybe reinstalling windows (I have Windows 10 and it is currently up to date) or getting a new laptop. I've read countless forums with similar problems and none of the suggested solutions worked for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Acer V15 Nitro crashes Archer C7 router
2019-02-20 14:17:15
Do you have the issue if you connect via WIFI? I would connect the laptop directly to the modem bypassing the router to insure the issue is in the router/PC connection. Check the PC for malware. Next I would try a different PC if possible. Next try a different router if possible. (borrow one) Next consider a USB to ethernet adapter if you feel the network adapter is the issue. Let us know what works.
Options
2019-02-21 05:37:22

hey, what is the current firmware? 

Besides, where did you get it? Is it an US version product?

More information will help solving your issue. 

Options
2019-12-26 22:11:36

@Anton L.Z. 

Hi .. I just bought an Acer Aspire 5 laptop .. Model A515-54-708W

Same issue with my TPLink AC1750 Archer C7 router.

The details for my router are:

Hardware Version: V2

Firmware Version: 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel36706n

thanks

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 910

Replies: 3