Multiple AP problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Multiple AP problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Multiple AP problem
Multiple AP problem
2019-02-23 21:41:22
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi all, 

I’ve an issue that seems to affect v1 hardware but not v2.  I have a WiFi network consisting of 2 APs connected by cable, both have the same SSID but different channels as per a pretty standard arrangement. One is the main broadband router and also DHCP server, the second doesn’t do anything except act as a WiFi bridge.

I’ve a mixed set of v1 and v2 HS100s (10 in total). With Kasa (and Fing) the v2 plugs are always visible in all locations.

The v1 plugs however are only visible when you’re connected to the same WiFi AP.

Any ideas as it’s pretty annoying as the v1 units are pretty much useless because of this! 

So, a couple of other points worth making...

All plugs are connected and show green to confirm.

All plugs can be moved between locations and work fine without changing any setup.. (I did find that this doesn’t work if you let them use the detected SSID when setting up. Instead you get way better results manually inputting the SSID and passcode.)

I’ve been experimenting with a pi running hass and this seems to be a way more robust way of controlling the switches than the Kasa app presumably because it’s addressing them directly by IP address, however I don’t get the same functionality as the Kasa app. (I probably could write rules etc on the hass but that’s a bit advanced for me at the moment).

Any one had this issue and worked out how to get over it?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Multiple AP problem
2019-02-26 05:57:03

You can try to enable the remote control function on the V1, look at this manual https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2322.html, it will allow you control the plug in any networks.

Options
Re:Multiple AP problem
2019-02-27 01:23:56

If your router supports it you might try enabling multicast.   Unfortunately kasa/tplink is using multicast in a non-standard way - an invalid group ip or port IIRC - so not all routers will recognize them.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Re:Re:Multiple AP problem
2019-03-19 13:03:44
Thanks for the clue. I swapped the routers and the issue then happened the other way round including some IP cameras dropping off the network...., so I'm pretty sure it's a Router issue. New one on order from ebay so fingers crossed my issue's resolved.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Multiple AP problem
2019-03-21 02:41:10

haha, finger crossed. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1139

Replies: 4