Archer C1200 V2 randomly reboots

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C1200 V2 randomly reboots

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
60 Reply
Re:Archer C1200 V2 randomly reboots
2020-12-03 06:47:11

@_pc 

Hello, your router model is not the same as others in this post, it is suggested to open your own and provide as much info as you can, such as:
1. When the router reboots, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?
2. Your network layout, how is the C6 connected to your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.
3. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C6 WAN or PPPoE?
4. How many devices are connected to C6, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? Is there any new device connected to the C6 network recently when the C6 begins to reboot? Or did you upgrade any system in the network before this issue happen?
5. Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C6 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls?
6. Is it the original power adapter on the C6? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?
7. Does this issue happen when you purchased it or happens recently? Try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm again.

Options
2020-12-04 07:29:52

@Kevin_Z https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/240846?page=1

Options
2020-12-04 11:27:01

@_pc 

Thank you very much for your cooperation, I have just replied to your post, please confirm.

Options
2020-12-29 20:11:30

@Kevin_Z 

Just a word of caution.  I was having similar issues - I have a c1200 v1 (us) and did the beta upgrade and could not connect to any websites after the upgrade.  It was apparently a DNS issue - I would get privacy errors on all secure sites, and some would not even connect (unreachable).  I verified all my router settings were still correct.  I was able to downgrade back to the original firmware.  For me, the random reboot only happens about once a month or so, so not end of the world, but still annoying.  Guess I'll have to live with it until I upgrade my router.

Options
2021-01-14 10:45:59 - last edited 2021-02-11 14:31:18

I have the same issue. It reboots every 2-3 days. I have a separate router so I'm using Archer C1200 V2 EU on AP mode. My other router is connected on WAN port which does the DHCP. I have 3 wired clients (TV and accessories) and a plug socket extender which I use to get wired internet on the other side of the room.

Just installed the beta firmware. Hopefully it'll help. Thanks

Edit: The new firmware helped me. Haven't had any more reboots since.

Options
2021-02-23 22:10:23 - last edited 2021-02-23 22:36:53

@Kevin_Z 

Hi,

I upgrade my C1200 V1 EU with the beta firmware.

Since the update, I can't login to web administration. It still on blue tplink screen with title "Opening..." and I can't access to the web.

Can you help me ?

Thanks,

Edit: I’ve rebooted the router twice and it’s ok..

Options
2021-03-03 21:22:00

I'm using this Beta version of firmware since 03.08.2018 and while it helped with multiple restarts per day it still restarts at least once every 2 days. It's better than it was but it's still not a solution. Sometimes it takes a week, sometimes 18h but it still reboots randomly. I would like to find some solution for this problem... It doesn't look good on TP-Link reputation to release faulty hardware and stop updating its clearly bad software just in less than a year.

Options
2021-04-05 20:51:32

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, Dear TP-Link support,

Do you have the experiential firmware for C1200 V3? 

I also got randomly reboot issues sometimes once or twice a week. It is very annoy since it drops my VPN connection for my working from remote.

I finally figured out my disconnection issues were caused by the router reboot.

My unit is a warranty replacement unit that I received in September 2020.

The original unit AC900 was no longer available but did not have this problem. The warranty of the original unit has expired in September 2020.

The hardware version is: Archer C1200 v3.0

The firmware version is: 3.0.7 Build 20200831 rel.59087 (US)

If this problem can not be resolved, I have to purchase a different router.

Thanks,

Options
2021-04-06 01:25:56

@unhappy2021 

Sorry to know the replacement unit was rebooting. We would like to know more details which will help us analyze the special reboot issue you are experiencing, then we will provide a solution:
1. When did the reboot issue start to occur, does it occur when you first installed it or is it happening when you are working with the VPN connection? What if you didn't connect to the VPN, will it still reboot automatically? Have you ever upgraded the router firmware or changed some setting on it when this issue begins to happen?
2. When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turning off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?
3. How many devices are connected to router, wired, and wirelessly? If possible, try to reduce the connected devices, modify the Transmit Power on the router to middle or low, then monitor again.
4. Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.
5. Are you using the original power adapter for the router, which is 12 V ⎓ 1 A?
6. Try to reset it to factory defaults by holding the reset button on it until all the LEDs go off then on, reconfigure it from scratch, then monitor again.

Options
2021-04-06 12:11:17

@Kevin_Z 

1. I did not pay attention when I first installed.  I never expect a new router will have reboot issues. The automatically reboots have happened randomly with or without VPN. I remembered I upgraded firmware once last year. BTW, The router has rebooted at least 3 times yesterday. The third reboot appears happened immediately after I logout of the router.

2  Yes. Normally, I found a reboot has happened (a) after lost connections to the VPN (b) Browser freeze   (c) lost Remote Desktop to a Windows computer in another room.  (d) check and verify the router's system.log The reboot took several minutes.  The syslog only contains the last log. There is no record of the cause of the reboot.
3. I disabled the wireless on the C1200 router. The  router is used as wired only router. I used a separate Cisco wireless router and connect it wired to the C1200 router. I connect all four wired ports to other switches. I have no reboot problems when I used the old AC900 (The AC900 failed to answer DHCP).
4. The TP-Link C1200  router is used as wired only router.
5. Yes. I used the original power adapter.
6. I have 16 reserved IP addresses on the DHCP server.  If I backup and restore the settings after factory reset, does it defeat the purpose of factory reset?

I am taking AC1200 offline today for troubleshooting.  I will use a slower router that does not reboot automatically.

Still, does TP-Link have a beta firmware for AC1200 V3? Do I have to enter all 16 reserved IP addresses again?  Can I restore the settings from a different version of firmware?

Options
Related Articles