Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

165 Reply
Re:Possibility to change WiFi channels
2020-06-10 13:28:24 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

I'm wandering why none from TP-Link seems to show interest in this thread, answering to our request in a clear way.

Please, reply in order to amplify the "noise".

Request to TP-Link experts.

We would like to have the possibility, from the App, to change Wi-Fi channel on 2.4 and 5 GHz of our Deco mesh node f, in order to move from congested to free channels.

Looking for your reply, thank you.

Options
2020-06-10 13:44:19 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

duco67 wrote

I'm wandering why none from TP-Link seems to show interest in this thread, answering to our request in a clear way.

We would like to have the possibility, from the App, to change Wi-Fi channel on 2.4 and 5 GHz of our Deco mesh node f, in order to move from congested to free channels.

I fully support @duco67 proposal. We should get an answer. It shouldn't be any hardware issue, and if the autodetection is not working, at least a manual option should be provided.

Options
2020-06-11 09:58:25 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

duco67 wrote

I fully support @duco67 proposal. We should get an answer.

Options
2020-06-11 11:25:21 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

@DJ_Feedback 

The lack of interest and responses from tplink employees on this forum is becoming more and more common.

Threads reporting serious issues are consistently ignored. People should take this into account when even considering buying hardware from tplink.

It is pretty impressive that something as standard as channel selection is not available for an AP.

Start to vote with your wallets people. Return the stuff where you still can, as not being fit for purpose and shop other brands.

Options
2020-06-11 11:26:00 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

@duco67 I support this request. I also support the request to get a clear statement ASAP on this issue from TP-link.

Options
2020-06-11 13:23:25 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

phillip_mcmahon wrote

@DJ_Feedback 

The lack of interest and responses from tplink employees on this forum is becoming more and more common.

Threads reporting serious issues are consistently ignored. People should take this into account when even considering buying hardware from tplink.

It is pretty impressive that something as standard as channel selection is not available for an AP.

Start to vote with your wallets people. Return the stuff where you still can, as not being fit for purpose and shop other brands.

@phillip_mcmahon 

Unfortunately I took it for granted that the basic channel selection was possible in case I ran into problems with neighbors on the same channel. Now it's too late for me to return the 4 Deco M9 Plus purchased.

However the worst is actually reading up on all the threads here on the TP-Link SOHO Community concerning what appears to be a total lack of support for channel selection for their entire Deco Mx product line. Some of which was created more than a year ago, were I’ve seen no commitment from their technical department to actually try and fix it. There has been certain comments about their R&D dpt. looking into it, however it’s clear that these kind of responses comes from someone without direct contact with the engineers actually accountable for working such feature into their firmware.

Several people speculate the reasons why is simply because it’s technically not possible to add such feature for the fact the radios are fixed to certain out-of-the-box channels applicable for the region they are being sold.

I guess the fact TP-Link is not getting themselves involved with the discussions about it here on the forum, basically confirms the point. Probably the Deco Mx product line is aimed at non-tech consumers which appreciate the swift and simple setup. In TP-Link’s view I presume they consider the percentage of people complaining on this forum as acceptable compared to the large volume being sold worldwide. The product is probably working exactly as designed, it’s just that they keep it a secret that their auto-channel selection is fixed to a specific channel regardless.

I will have a word with my neighbors at least to check if they are willing to change their channel. Hopefully they’ve not been equally stupid as myself and bought Deco as well :-)

Options
2020-06-12 20:42:29 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

DJ_Feedback wrote

Several people speculate the reasons why is simply because it’s technically not possible to add such feature for the fact the radios are fixed to certain out-of-the-box channels applicable for the region they are being sold.

@DJ_Feedback 

That can't be true.  I've seen mine on different channels and in other threads people in the same region are posting different channels.  

Google Nest Wifi does the same, won't let you change channels.  I think Google and tp-link are focused on making their products super simple to set up and use.  Click, click, click and forget about it.

While I support the ability to manually set channels, a wifi analyzer tool will very often suggest a "better" channel regardless of which one you are using with any mesh product.  Between the 6 tp-link signals (3 guest, 3 main) and other wifi products that chase the wifi channel, you have a small army of signals moving everytime the wifi channel changes.  

Options
2020-06-13 01:21:53 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58
There are two things that make me sorry I bought the M5, things I could not have known about or really understood until I started having problems. The first is the inability to change channels to avoid interference with other things using 2.5 Ghz on channel 2. I had no problem selection channel 11 on my previous TP-Link router. The second is that the Deco 5 is not a true mesh router, but rather a hub and spokes system. Every slave has to get its signal from the main Deco, even if there is a slave much closer. In a true mesh system, even similarly low-priced ones from Linksys and others, each slave would look to the nearest/strongest signal source.
Options
2020-06-16 08:27:55 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58

I also want to know how to adjust, I will always pay attention.

QSFP28 is one of the most popular optical modules.
Options
2020-07-13 13:47:03 - last edited 2021-12-30 08:37:58
I'm wandering why none from TP-Link seems to show interest in this thread, answering to our request in a clear way. Please, reply in order to amplify the "noise". Request to TP-Link experts. We would like to have the possibility, from the App, to change Wi-Fi channel on 2.4 and 5 GHz of our Deco mesh node f, in order to move from congested to free channels. Looking for your reply, thank you.
Options