Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

Votes

Possibility to change WiFi channels

165 Reply
RE:Possibility to change WiFi channels
2023-01-07 04:46:11
similar thoughts, and also if using wired backhaul, if nodes could be on different channels,
Options
Re:Possibility to change WiFi channels
2023-01-14 08:24:17 - last edited 2023-01-15 00:00:11

@jcsogo Disappointed in my newly-bought Deco X55's inability to let me select the least congested channels. It auto-chooses the MOST congested and MOST active channels - you can guess the impact on performance. In case TP-Link haven't noticed, it's now 2023 and way past time that this basic setting is available. I've gone back to my old Telstra SmartModem2 + three ethernet-connected SmartModem2's configured as access points, which gives me much better speed that I can get with TP-Link.

Options
2023-01-22 21:54:54
My XE75 always selects to most congested channels and does not auto configure at all
Options
2023-01-23 21:53:39

Dear @David-TP,

I have 2xDeco M4 devices setup. I live in a house with few neighbours around. When I want to relax, I play online multiplayer games. Quite often the interference is terrible and I have ourbursts of lagg spikes. And the app confirms there is interference in play. I would like to to be able to manually select channels to see how system performs myself.

On 5ghz frequency (same issue goes for 2,4ghz btw) Deco chooses most used channel 40, that everybody around uses. How? How did you program any sort of channel automation into your system, if it  doesnt do anything and just chooses most blatantly obvious channel my grandpa would pick? After diagnostics the app says everything is setup fine, while its obviously not, because it doesnt go away as it doesnt pick other channels.

I m sorry, but this is just a shame guys. Your product doesnt work as intended (apparently products as I read the thread). You are not working on it for 4 years now, arent you? In fact, engineers probably know it cannot be done because of mesh system nature itself. I understand your explanation you posted 3 years ago, but engineers should have said either "yes we can do it" and then fix it in reasonable amout of time, or "no, it cant be done".

I think I will look elsewhere for my next product. 

But as a last resort: My firmware on M4R is 
1.0.2 Build 20220401
Rel. 35920
and the automatic update system reads it as most up to date. Can the firmware be an issue?

Sorry for appearing a little upset, but I m just dissapointed in such a basic function missing. Thank you for any kind of reply and have a nice day.

Options
2023-01-24 07:06:56
Changing Channel for 5GB network is more important
Options
2023-01-24 07:11:49
Perhaps it’s already been said but here are some suggestions: Automatic channel selection on all bands would be nice, ideally including an option to enable DFS channels on models that support them. (I assume all 160mhz models such as the x50 do) An option to manually override would be nice too, and to be able to set any supported channel width. For 2.4ghz, I noticed the X50 auto picks channel 2. I’m not sure why this would be, but I was under the impression it should be 1,6, or 11 due to overlap. It also appears to be 40mhz only, but would be good to have the option of downgrading to 20mhz if needed. When decos are using wired backhaul, they should be able to use a different channels from each other.
Options
2023-01-24 10:35:50

poop12345 wrote

Dear @David-TP,

I m sorry, but this is just a shame guys. Your product doesnt work as intended (apparently products as I read the thread). You are not working on it for 4 years now, arent you? In fact, engineers probably know it cannot be done because of mesh system nature itself. I understand your explanation you posted 3 years ago, but engineers should have said either "yes we can do it" and then fix it in reasonable amout of time, or "no, it cant be done".

Sorry for appearing a little upset, but I m just dissapointed in such a basic function missing. Thank you for any kind of reply and have a nice day.

@poop12345 a lot of us are upset too.  Being able to manually override channels seems like a basic function that TP-Link could have and should have developed by now.  But I disagree with the "engineers probably know it cannot be done because of mesh system" - I don't see why a mesh system would be locked to certain channels.  With a mesh system, all of the devices within the mesh would need to use the same channel but that channel could be any channel allowed by the governing body for that device.  And from what I can tell other brand products do exactly that.  Can you confirm that is correct @David-TP ?

I recently returned from a weekend away at an airbnb in a crowded vacation area.  They had one wfi router 2 floors away from the bedroom I was in and I found only one weak spot in the house.  That one device managed to work better than my 4 Deco mesh network at home.  And the reason is simple - less channel interference.  It really highlights the poor performance from my Decos and what should be a technologically superior network. 

Options
2023-02-04 20:53:24

Could someone from TP-Link please give us an update on when we will have the ability to change 5ghz channels? The function to pick the best channel does not work.

This was promised for 4 years now. I need to know when it will happen or I will move on to a different mesh system. 

Tired of this problem being ignored.

Options
2023-02-23 09:35:45

Is anyone from TP-LINK going to update us in the status of this issue? My P9s keep selecting the most congested channels making them unusable. 

Options
2023-04-06 10:42:07
I want to choice channel !!
Options