Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-08 11:24:21 - last edited 2019-03-14 00:40:38
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

When I first installed the switch in Dec 2018, all went well and I could control the HS200 switch remotely. In the Kasa App, under the switch settings, there was the option for remote control (toggle on/off).  On Feb 27, 2019, the App was updated to version 2.9.0 and now I can’t remotely control the switch.  I get a “Device Unreachable” error and sometimes I see a “local only” message below the switch name. In the new version of the app there is no longer the toggle to turn on remote control in the device settings of the switch.  So, now, I can no longer remotely control the switch.  What’s up with this?  Any help please. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only-Solution
2019-03-13 11:29:57 - last edited 2019-03-14 00:40:38

Ok, Problem solved.  I went into the App and removed the HS-200 switch device and then reinstalled it as if it were a new device. I was able to remotely control the switch thereafter. I suggest to all, if having problems with remote control, to remove the affected devices and then reinstall them. Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
74 Reply
Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-03-11 07:22:33

Hello,

for your information, there is no toggle to turn on/off the remote control in the new APP, while it is enabled by default after the initial setup.

While back to your case, we can do some troubleshooting first. 

First, please check whether you can control HS200 remotely with kasa app.

If not, it is suggested to hard reset it and reconfigure it.

How to reset: Press and hold the reset button (about 10 seconds) until the Wi-Fi status LED blinks amber rapidly to factory reset the Smart Switch.

how to set up:  https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/HS200_V1.html#video or https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2319.html

Meanwhile, you can check the firmware, if it is not the latest one, please upgrade it first. 

After that, please confirm whether it works properly. 

If not, please show us a screenshot of the error message and tell us your TP-link ID. 

Wish you good luck.

Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only-Solution
2019-03-13 11:29:57 - last edited 2019-03-14 00:40:38

Ok, Problem solved.  I went into the App and removed the HS-200 switch device and then reinstalled it as if it were a new device. I was able to remotely control the switch thereafter. I suggest to all, if having problems with remote control, to remove the affected devices and then reinstall them. Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-03-13 12:25:11

Hello,

Glad to hear that you have solved the problem finally. Your kind feedback is really much appreciated!

If you have any other problem in future, just let us know.

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-03-19 04:17:52

That doesn't make sense... why do I have to reset and reconfigure all my switches to enable something that worked perfectly in previous versions?

Given the ongoin issues with the firmware in many of the smart switches (sudden disconnects, fail to reconnect, factory resets don't work) it starts to look there are some serious quality issues here.

When can we expect the products we purchased work as advertised? Currently I have several switches that do not work anymore as after a reset they fail to reconnect.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-03-19 06:19:49

olaf123 wrote

That doesn't make sense... why do I have to reset and reconfigure all my switches to enable something that worked perfectly in previous versions?

Given the ongoin issues with the firmware in many of the smart switches (sudden disconnects, fail to reconnect, factory resets don't work) it starts to look there are some serious quality issues here.

When can we expect the products we purchased work as advertised? Currently I have several switches that do not work anymore as after a reset they fail to reconnect.

hello,

Theoretically, the smart home device will work after the initial setup; while with time goes by, there may have some changes which affect the performance, like the new wifi settings, firmware upgrade and so on, so we need do something to sort it out, reboot or reset is just a method used to troubleshoot.

Back to your case, after hard reset, you need reconfigure them via kasa app to make them work. 

Meanwhile, we will keep moving on and make more progress to optimize our products. 

Have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-04-26 21:58:33
I have the same issue, my smart switch is "local only" and I could not control my smart switch HS200, when I am away from home or if I am using my cellphone mobile data. I have also another device HS 105 smart plug and it is working perfectly fine on my cellphone apps, but not the HS200. I had done everything, reset, uninstall, re-install the apps and devices, updated the firmware, but the "Local Only" is always indicated on the smart switch device; the smart plug HS105 is okay though, and I can control remotely using my wifi and my mobile data. Please advise, thanks.
Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-04-26 22:08:01

Please see attached screenshot, my smart switch HS200 is "Local Only", however my HS105 smart plug is working perfectly fine.

I have done all the resets, reconfiguration, uninstall, and install the device, firmware update, and the smart switch is still "local only".

What and where is my TPlink ID?

Please advise corrective action, thanks.

File:
IMG_3205.PNGDownload
Options
2019-04-26 22:12:59
Hi, I had removed and re-installed the device (smart switch) but still the "local only" is still indicated on the app; and still I could not control my switch remotely. I had done all the resets, firmware updates as advised by tplink, but my problem is still there. Please help, thanks
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2019-04-28 01:10:16

Hi,

Please show us a screenshot of the device settings page.

Note: How to get there: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2024/

Meanwhile, is there any error message that indicates you cannot control the HS200 remotely? 

The TP-Link ID is the cloud account you used to login to the kasa app, you can find it once you click the "settings button" on the left top.

Good day. 

peveunited wrote

Hi, I had removed and re-installed the device (smart switch) but still the "local only" is still indicated on the app; and still I could not control my switch remotely. I had done all the resets, firmware updates as advised by tplink, but my problem is still there. Please help, thanks

Options
2019-07-10 18:24:44

JimT1000 wrote

I have the same problem but with only one of my hs100 the other two are ok I have done a re install but still only showed local ? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 38770

Replies: 74