Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
74 Reply
Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-01-10 14:05:51

@mfmf 

Thanks for the info, that's good to know about amazon plugs.  The KASA app is far superior, that's why it's so frustrating I can't control TP plugs remotely.  

Options
2020-01-20 21:13:09

Hello,

I received a 3-pack of the HS103, of which 2 of the plugs worked perfectly.  But one plug won't connect to Alexa and is showing as Local Only.  I have reinstalled the plug multiple times and also done a hard reset, but still the problem persists.  It's also showing that the devise has all the necessry updates.  Two screenshots attached. Can someone help?  Or is it just that this particular plug needs to be replaced? Thank you!

-Kyle

Options
2020-01-28 15:31:21

@lovely33 yes I found the same when reinstalled I was offered the remote option. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-03-02 11:20:19 - last edited 2021-07-14 23:37:05

Thanks for the reply issue is resolved now!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-03-04 07:10:58 - last edited 2020-03-04 07:11:41

@Downlands1 

Hi,

What's your plug's hardware version and firmware version? How about the APP version? Please make sure they are up to date. Then check the remote control function.

Options
2020-03-04 07:19:04 - last edited 2020-03-06 00:28:27

@KWhite 

Hi,

Please disable the firewall on the router and modem, change the router's primary DNS address to 8.8.8.8, reboot the modem and router.

What's the plug's hardware version, firmware version, and MAC address?

Options
2020-03-08 15:11:14

@JimT1000 I am pleased to learn of an end-user solution but I would recommend this important point to the company:

Many of us use your remote switches to control devices remotely. We should not have to say this but what this means is that we are not at the location of the switch where we would have the luxury of removing and reinstalling or resetting the device.

Why on Earth would TP-Link release firmware that requires the person to be at the remote site to adjust the device? It seems like the company thinks most people use these devices just for the convenience of not having to get up to switch a light on or off. In my case, I was without the ability to control an important heating device for four months because of this firmware release.

At the very least -- TP-Link -- plelase give users the option of not installing firmware updates when we are physically remote and may lose the ability to access the device.

Thank you.

Options
2020-05-18 19:27:01

@JimT1000 some time it wil resolve by unplug aal thing and the plug these things again most of the time it will help full other wise contact to concern expert

Options
2020-05-29 12:44:01

@JimT1000 I figured out, I tried everything but nothing worked.  Everything worked after I restarted my router.  There's nothing wrong with the Smart Switch, something happened to the Router.

Options
2020-05-29 14:19:53

@RobT UPDATE

The suggestion to unplug the tp-link switch and plug it again again ignores the fact that a firmware update was created for a remote device that requires having access to the device. This is illogical, as is the suggestion that a fix can be had by unplugging a remote device that is 500 miles away. Again, firmware updates for remote devices should not require physical access to the device; otherwise, it is not a remote device!

The suggestion to reboot the router had no effect for me. My remote router reboots weekly and also on command. I could not control the switch until I traveled back to the remote location, unplugged the switch, then plugged it again. This makes is a "local only" switch.

Options