Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
74 Reply
Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-07-15 15:04:42

@JimT1000  I had this problem-local access only.

Solution:

1. Device has to be reset

2. If you connect to the same network problem will persist-local access only.

3. You must connect to a different network. When you do, it will wipe all the information on the Device. (Connecting to the same network retains some of the info notably "local access")

4. If you have just one network, temporarily change the ssid and the password on your router. When you connect to the "new" network it will wipe all the info on the switch. Return your router to its original ssid and password. Reset your switch and connect it to your router. 

Options
2020-07-15 15:39:22

@GT1 Thank you. This seems like a bunch of time and hassle to fix TP-Link's firmware bug. I have too many devices connected to my router, many of which are in different remote locations, to risk more connection losses. It is easier to change brands in this case.

Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-07-21 20:23:49

@peveunited 
Damm even I am having a similar kind of issue, I have searched all over the internet and even have posted on number of threads on different forum, no solution seems to work. I am really frustrated, can anyone of you here help me resolve this issue, I am very much tired now.

Options
Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-07-21 20:32:08

@JimT1000

JimT1000 wrote

Ok, Problem solved.  I went into the App and removed the HS-200 switch device and then reinstalled it as if it were a new device. I was able to remotely control the switch thereafter. I suggest to all, if having problems with remote control, to remove the affected devices and then reinstall them. Regards

Sounds good  . . . except if it is actually a remote control switch. A good plan though for switches that save you from having to walk a few steps.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-09-18 14:40:00

@Kevin_Z 

I just started having this problem intermittently this week. I have verified that all of my switches and plugs have updated firmware. First a couple of devices will say Local only and be unreachable from Alexa. Then those locations may become reachable remotely but others are not. I have tried to reboot my router which has not cured the problem. Although a hard reset of each device might fix the problem, I have somewhere between 15 and 20 TP Link devices on my network - resetting them all is very inconvenient and time consuming. There ought to be a better way.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2020-09-18 16:44:25

@Thomas.A 

As a follow up, the solution I posted almost a year ago is still working perfectly for me...

Detailed in post #51 on page 4. (I can't figure out how to post a link). Refresh your DHCP table and set up a MAC/IP reservation table on your router.

Options
2020-10-20 04:35:11
I've got the KP303. Just recently my google home could no longer control my plugs. Went into the Kasa app and noticed it was Local Only. I've tried all the steps mentioned here .. resetting my router .. removed devices and add as new .. updated to the latest firmware via the Kasa app ... have tried this multiple times and still keep getting Local Only. Please help.. this is very frustrating! Thanks
Options
2021-01-08 09:27:29

Garena Free Fire is a battle royale game, developed by 111 Dots Studio and published by Garena for Android and iOS. It became the most downloaded mobile game globally in 2019.The game received the award for the "Best Popular Game" by the Google Play Store in 2019

https://www.freefireforpcwindows.com/ 

https://www.freefireforpcwindows.com/
Options
FIXED FOR ME - Re:Remote Control No Longer Available in Kasa App - Local Only
2021-04-29 16:48:03 - last edited 2021-04-29 16:49:10

I went through all the troubleshooting, went into chat with customer support, yadda yadda yadda. After all that and an email saying they were escalating it, I and then went out on a limb and changed my router's DNS settings to Google DNS numbers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

When I reset the smart plugs and added them this time, it WORKED FLAWLESSLY with full access to remote control enabled without intervention.

I hope this helps others.

Options
2021-06-30 22:40:05

Did you ever resolve this issue with the vender? This is terrible. I just bought these switches about a month ago.  I picked up sbout 12 of them. Since the update, none of them function through Alexa. I have a Helpdesk ticket open with TP Link but they are not helpful. If your issue has not been resolved, I will remove all the switches and send them back. 

Options