Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-16 04:34:50
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.4 Build 20181206 Rel. 47778

I have 2 units of Deco M9 Plus running very well in router mode.

But I found the local IP it assigned is not in the same range as my main router.

My main router always assigns 192.168.1.xxx.

But Deco M9 Plus router mode will assign 192.168.xxx.xxx to all my devices.

Thus I planning to change from router mode to AP mode.

But once I change it to AP mode, the network no longer works, until I turn off the child Deco and remain the main Deco.

Is there any configuration I should apply?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-03-17 08:50:33 - last edited 2019-03-18 02:26:55

We need some idea of the physical layout / topology of your network to give you a better answer.  When in AP mode the Decos are just acting like a large switch and most services are from your router.  So no filtering, antivirus, etc.  You should not have the Decos issuing DHCP addresses in this mode.  

The Deco picked another range other than 192.168.1 precisely because that was already in use. All routers need to have different network addresses for their ‘inside’ and ‘outside’ networks.  You can change your ISP supplied router’s address range if you want to have that range for the inside the Deco network.   

I am am wondering if the other Decos did not follow the mode change, and were are stuck in Router configuration?  Do they show up as online and healthy when you look in the app and click on the globe at the top that says ‘Internet’ ?  You could also try resetting the non-main Decos and re-add them to the mesh in the desired mode.

hope some of that helps...

Options
2019-03-18 01:54:21

Hello,

In router mode, the Deco M9 plus, as a DHCP server, will assign IP address for the device connected to it, and the subnet will be different from the main router.  The default IP address of Deco M9 plus is 192.168.0.1. 

Back to your case, what is the current network topology/network diagram?

With them work in AP mode, what is the led status of them? With your computer connected to the Deco M9 plus, what is the IP address and default gateway it obtained? 

Below is the instruction to check them:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-838.html

Any updates, just let us know.

Good day. 

Options
2019-03-24 08:36:23

Sorry for late reply, @ajharvey @Kevin_Z 

I have just attached the diagram to show you what's the setup of my house.

Note: this is the setup which will not be working if I change my DECO M9 Plus from router mode to AP mode.

Is that because my setup having any problem? What's the best solution and setup I should apply to this case?

Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-03-24 08:38:24
Hi, in case if my reply doesn't tag you properly. Please check my reply below ya!
Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-03-26 10:03:39

Hey, what is the model number of the switch? Is it D-link switch? If so, please refer to Q4 of below link: 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/98898?page=1&t=2019%2F03%2F13%2014%3A37%3A09%20%2B0000

Meanwhile, please connect the 2 Deco M9 plus to the main router directly bypass the switch and check whether it works. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-03-31 05:56:24

Hi,

Yes, you are right. I'm using a Dlink switch model DGS-108. But I can't any information about whether it forward packets based on IEEE 1905.1 protocol or not.

If so, which gigabyte switch you would recommend me?

And also I have tried to connect my deco 2 directly to the main router, same as deco1, and it works perfectly.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-04-01 02:22:05

crossRT wrote

Hi,

Yes, you are right. I'm using a Dlink switch model DGS-108. But I can't any information about whether it forward packets based on IEEE 1905.1 protocol or not.

If so, which gigabyte switch you would recommend me?

And also I have tried to connect my deco 2 directly to the main router, same as deco1, and it works perfectly.

Hi,

There are some TP-Link switches: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/

If you use the switch to provide more ethernet ports, the unmanaged switch is a good choice. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-04-02 10:49:16

Switch for home use is already good for me.

I found this TL-SG1005 quite suitable in my setup, but I can't find whether it supports IEEE 1905.1 protocol or not.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1005d/#specifications

Do you know any information for it?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-04-03 01:40:57

crossRT wrote

Switch for home use is already good for me.

I found this TL-SG1005 quite suitable in my setup, but I can't find whether it supports IEEE 1905.1 protocol or not.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/unmanaged-switch/tl-sg1005d/#specifications

Do you know any information for it?

Hi,

The TL-SG1005 is okay, per Q4 said, the TP-link switch is a good choice. So you do not have to worry about that. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus not working after switching from router mode to AP mode
2019-04-07 09:06:07
Good to know that. Thanks @Kevin_Z =)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4827

Replies: 11

Related Articles