HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-21 17:30:17 - last edited 2019-03-21 17:31:40
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi

I have two HS100 plugs, firmware is most up to date (through the Kasa app). I can succesfully connect to both plugs, however it is impossible to enable remote control. I always get the same error message (see attached).

I tried multiple factory resets, reset the app and the plugs. No luck. The weird part is it says the device has no internet, but I can control the device through the phone (turn it off an on and enable away mode).

Any thoughts on this?

File:
Screenshot_20190321-182610_Kasa.jpgDownload
Options
7 Reply
Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-03-22 08:12:53

Regarding this problem, it seems most likely a DNS resolution issue. The default DNS servers assigned by your home router cannot resolve the TP-Link cloud DNS server successfully.

We recommend to change the DNS server on your router as 8.8.8.8 for a try. You can google "how to change DNS on XXX router" if you don't know how to do that.

In addition, please kindly check if you have restricted the internet access for this plug as well. Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-03-22 20:48:08

That’s a bit extreme for a 15 buck smart plug! Changing the router DNS server for what is probably the cheapest bit of equipment on my Network is not an option. I have two plugs, first one absolutely fine, New one has this problem. Identical models. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-03-24 20:32:05

That is an extreme solution indeed. It seems like a firmware error on your end here, is there another option to resolve this issue? 

Otherwise I have no choice but returning both plugs. They are completely useless if remote control is impossible - I need a workable solution for this, changing DNS server is not. 

Can you look at my issue again please?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-03-25 06:17:45

Do you have a computer connected to your Wi-Fi network?

If yes, please try to make a DNS resolution on your computer for a check at first.

Let's take Windows PC as an example. 

Tap the Start menu and type 'command prompt' in the search box. Then open the Command Prompt application.

Then please type in 'nslookup devs-gw.tplinkcloud.com" and press Enter key to execute the command line. Check if it can give a result with IP addresses. 

If not, it seems that your DNS servers assigned by the ISP fail to resolve the TP-Link cloud website. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-03-25 19:15:45

Hi there

I just did what you suggested in command prompt, and I actually do get a result with multiple IP addresses. Does this mean the DNS server configuration is correct? 
The problem is still there unfortunately.

Options
Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-04-02 14:48:21

For people who had the same issue and are wondering about the solution - after communicating my MAC addresses to the TP Link support team the issue has been solved :).

Options
Re:Re:HS100 - cannot enable Remote Control
2019-04-03 02:50:33

Ibra wrote

For people who had the same issue and are wondering about the solution - after communicating my MAC addresses to the TP Link support team the issue has been solved :).

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply, glad to hear that the issue has been fixed finally. Congrats. 

If need any further help, do not hesitate to contact us. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2398

Replies: 7