Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.

2019-04-01 02:05:22 - last edited 2019-05-30 01:27:16

Dear friends,

We are glad to share you that we have published Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux), which mainly adds Guest Network/Merge 2.4G and 5G SSID/Radius Accounting/API changes of Radius Portal.

You can download Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) at the following link:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap-controller/#Controller_Software

1. Guest Network

We change SSID Isolation as the Guest Network. With the Guest Network enabled, the devices connected in the same SSID of the same AP cannot communicate with each other, and guest network will block clients from reaching any private IP subnet.

2. Merge 2.4G and 5G SSID.

Omada Controller 3.1.4 merges the 2.4G and 5G SSID. The SSID on different radio band with the same name will be regarded as an identical SSID entry. When you upgrade your controller and restore the backup files from the controller with the version 3.0.5 or below, the SSID entries will be changed to the parameters of the original SSID on the 2.4GHz radio band.

3. Radius Accounting.

If we select WPA-Enterprise encryption when creating an SSID, we can enable Radius accounting to count the traffic of the client. With this feature, the user can be billed accordingly, and it can also be used for statistical purposes and general network monitoring.

4. API changes of Radius Portal

We add CHAP encryption and NAS ID in Radius portal authentication, and the Radius Client role is transferred from EAP to Omada Controller. If you use External Radius Server with External Web Portal in old version controller, pay attention that the API has been changed in this version. Thus you have to modify your External Web Portal, refer to FAQ-2390 for more details.

PS: Below are the detailed release note of Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux)for your reference.

New Feature/Enhancement:

1. Merge 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID.

2. Add Guest Network function.

3. Optimize log field and content.

4. Add SSID Radius accounting to WPA-Enterprise security mode.

5. Optimize the site list which allows us to inquire the specific site based on the site name and add new entrance for the hotspot.

6. Add SSL encryption in Log Server, and Log setting/Mail Server can be only accessed by administrator account.

7. Add Layer-3 Accessibility in SSH.

8. Add Mesh settings to Backup and Restore file.

9. Add CHAP encryption and NAS ID in Radius portal authentication and the Radius Client role is transferred from EAP to Omada Controller.

10. Add SSID MAC Authentication to none security mode.

11. Add channel utilization function.

12. Add Full-Sector DFS function in Mesh network.

13. Channel limit is revised from private configuration to site settings.

14. Support inputting domain name in SMTP server.

Notes:

1. To use Omada Controller 3.1.x new features, you need to upgrade your EAP's firmware to the corresponding version.

2. The Omada Controller program needs to use the system's netstat command. If the Linux system does not have net-tools installed (which contain the netstat command), the program may run abnormally.

3. Supporting 64-bit Linux operating system, including Ubuntu 14.04/16.04/17.04/18.04, CentOS 6.x/7.x and Fedora 20 or above, Debian 9.8.

4. Built-in JRE 1.8 Java environment.

5. Once upgraded to this version of Omada Controller, you will NOT able to downgrade to an earlier version.

6. Portal configuration will be lost after upgraded to Omada Controller 3.1.X from 2.4.8.

7. This version software needs you to install manually via curl command.

8. The log will be cleared when you upgrade the software from version 3.0.x to version 3.1.4.

9. Add push notification to Omada APP of version 2.1.4 or above when EAP is connected/disconnected from Omada Controller.

10. This version of Omada Controller is applied to Omada APP of version 2.1.4 or above.

11. When you upgrade your controller or backup files from lower version, the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID entries with the same name will be merged and it will inherit the parameters of the original 2.4GHz SSID.

12. If you use External Radius Server with External Web Portal in old version controller, pay attention that the API has been changed in this version, thus you have to modify your External Web Portal, refer to FAQ-2390 for more details.

13. The log generated by EAP will be managed and storaged by Controller if you manage EAPs by Omada Controller.

14. Channel utilization will take effect only with new firmware.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-09 19:38:47

Merge 2.4G and 5G SSID - Whats the difference when you name them the same vs combining. Is there anydifference from a performance standpoint?

Options
Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-10 00:06:00

steve_togo wrote

Merge 2.4G and 5G SSID - Whats the difference when you name them the same vs combining. Is there anydifference from a performance standpoint?

Hi,

Before we merge the 2.4G and 5G SSID, when we pass the portal authentication on 2.4G SSID, we still have to authenticate again when we connect to the 5G network. However, after we merge the 2.4G and 5G, when we pass the authentication of 2.4G or 5G, we will also pass the authentication of 5G or 2.4G.

Note:

The SSID on different radio band with the same name will be regarded as an identical SSID entry. When you upgrade your controller or restore the backup files from the controller with the version 3.0.5 or below, the SSID entries with the same name will be merged if they are on 2.4GHz and 5GHz in the same WLAN group. SSID entries with the same name will be merged if they are on 2.4GHz and 5GHz in the same WLAN group. All the configurations in the entry will be changed to the parameters of the original SSID on the 2.4GHz
radio band. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-15 14:38:35

Thanks for the info. Can you please tell me how I can solve the below issue?

1. Previously I was able to block a client from connecting to 2.4 Ghz by inputting the MAC address. This way even if the 2.4Ghz signal was strong it was always connecting to the 5ghz. Now how do I force a client to connect only to 5 Ghz?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-16 00:40:22

steve_togo wrote

Thanks for the info. Can you please tell me how I can solve the below issue?

1. Previously I was able to block a client from connecting to 2.4 Ghz by inputting the MAC address. This way even if the 2.4Ghz signal was strong it was always connecting to the 5ghz. Now how do I force a client to connect only to 5 Ghz?

Hi,

For your questions, here are some suggestions you can try.

1) Enable Band Steering. By using Band Steering, AP can steer dual-band clients to connect to EAP’s 5GHz radio with higher priority and avoid too many clients associating with the EAP’s 2.4GHz band, improving overall network performance, especially in high client density environments. 

2) If you don't want to use the 2.4GHz, you can uncheck the 2.4GHz when you set the SSID. In this way, you will not connect your devices to the 2.4GHz network.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-16 14:45:57

Band steering is always not 100% in pushing to 5Ghz. I cant disable 2.4 as the network requires mixed clients. Why did you guys take of that option, you should add it back on.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-17 13:41:34

Any Updates?

Options
Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-19 14:33:26 - last edited 2019-04-19 14:44:20

I'm not seeing any download link for a Linux version of Omada Controller 3.1.4?  I'm using the link provided in the original post https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap-controller/#Controller_Software

EDIT: I found it...it's all the way down at the bottom on that page.

Options
Re:Re:Omada Controller 3.1.4 (Linux) has been released.
2019-04-23 02:16:05

miked315 wrote

I'm not seeing any download link for a Linux version of Omada Controller 3.1.4?  I'm using the link provided in the original post https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap-controller/#Controller_Software

EDIT: I found it...it's all the way down at the bottom on that page.

Hi,

The website will check the operation system automatically.

If your OS is Linux, then the version of Controller(Linux) will be on top of the page and the version of Controller(Windows) wil be at the bottom of the page. 

If the OS of your PC is windows, then the version of Controller(windows) will be on the top of the page.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2767

Replies: 8