TL-WA901ND needs daily reboots

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-01 10:17:05
Model: TL-WA901ND  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 3.16.9 Build 160929 Rel.37753n

Hi, first let me set the scene, we live in an old Victorian stone-built house with walls over 2ft thick. Our ISP enters the house via an extension to the main building, this is then connected to a gigabit switch which has cat5e cabling routed to the two main downstairs rooms, these rooms both have a TL-WA901ND working in Access Point mode, one room upstairs has a TL-WA901ND working in Universal Repeater mode. There are roughly 16-18 devices connected to the WiFi, these are iPhones, iPads, an Xbox-One, Amazon Alexa devices, "smart" bulbs etc.

On a daily basis connected devices will lose internet connectivity, this can be remedied by rebooting the TL-WA901ND's but is becoming a pain in the bum if i'm honest. Nothing on a wired connection loses connectivity and the TL-WA901ND are still accessable via LAN.

i previously had two slower AP's from a different manufacturer which worked for months at a time without need of rebooting, i upgraded to the TL-WA901ND for faster speeds and hopefully similar reliability which now seems not to be the case.

does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-WA901ND needs daily reboots
2019-04-03 10:04:22

Hi,

Do you connect the 901ND in repeater mode to the 901ND in access point? If so, cause they are still in the same network and the 901ND is a 802.11n device, it cannot handle so much device at once and ensure their performance and it is suggested to connect the 901ND in repeater rmode to the switch and configure it as an access point. 

Or if you need boost wifi network, and your whole house is running under the same network, powerline adapters is a good choice. Like TL-WPA8630KIT.

Note: The model like TL-WPAXXX supports wifi function. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/powerline/?filterby=4893 

May it help and have a nice day.

Options
Re:Re:TL-WA901ND needs daily reboots
2019-04-29 13:31:46

thanks for the reply.

yes, one of the 901ND's is connected in Universal Repeater mode to one of the 901ND's that are running as an Access Point, i would love it to be connected directly to the switch but it's just not possible to run a cable under the house and up to the second floor.

if that is the problem surely it would account for two devices needing reboots, not all three?

powerline adapters do not work in our house do to how the electrics are laid out, back in the 1970's the house was re-wired with part being made into a flat with its own supply, in the 1990's it was made back into one complete dwelling, powerline adaptors just won't hold connection, we've tried.

Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-WA901ND needs daily reboots
2019-07-02 10:31:33

in a last ditch attempt to solve this i carefully went through the settings pages one at a time of the 901ND that is in repeater mode side-by-side with one set as an AP.

The repeater had DHCP enabled for some reason where as neither of the AP's did, this was disabled and it's now been five days (touch wood) without needing a single reboot.

i'm optimistic that this has solved the problem.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:TL-WA901ND needs daily reboots
2019-07-03 05:41:51

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, glad to hear that it has been working for about 5 days without any problem.

You can take more time to test the performance and stability.

Any updates, please let us know. 

Nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2291

Replies: 4

Related Articles