tpPLC utility fails to show devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-08 16:55:54 - last edited 2020-09-04 22:49:41

I can no longer successfully launch the tpPLC utility to display my connected PowerLine devices. It's the latest version from 2018-08-16.

I'm running Windows 10 build 1809. Previously, the utility launched fine. Now, it launches, asks for admin permission, then shows the blue window, but only a spinning icon in the middle. No adapters are shown as before. The app is unresponsive to pressing the icons on the left column. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this utility several times without success. It does launch on a different PC and Mac, just not this one.

I called tech support, and they promised to ask the developer, but they never got back to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:tpPLC utility fails to show devices-Solution
2021-01-17 08:08:47 - last edited 2021-01-18 03:16:59

@colinrc 

Temporally change your PC / notebook date time to earlier than 12 Jan 2021 (Adobe Flash EOLS date). Once tpPLC utility is launched, you may change back the date time to current. This workaround works for me.

Or install the lastesy tpPLC Utility 

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201127/tpPLC%20Utility.zip

Cheers...

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:tpPLC utility fails to show devices-Solution
2021-01-18 03:33:33 - last edited 2021-01-18 04:59:23

@Krakatos 

Hi, thank very much for your feedback.

For the PLC utility issue with the windows flash, please try to update the powerline utility to the latest version:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202011/20201127/tpPLC%20Utility.zip

after that, if there is any further issue, please feel free to update it here.

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
30 Reply
Re:tpPLC utility fails to show devices
2019-04-10 09:48:22

Hi,

What is the model number of your powerline adapters?

What is the led status of it as well?

Please show us a screenshot of the tpPLC utility page. Besides, did you try to uninstall and reinstall it to give it a shot?

Is there any other computer you can do a comparison test?

Good day. 

Krakatos wrote

I can no longer successfully launch the tpPLC utility to display my connected PowerLine devices. It's the latest version from 2018-08-16.

I'm running Windows 10 build 1809. Previously, the utility launched fine. Now, it launches, asks for admin permission, then shows the blue window, but only a spinning icon in the middle. No adapters are shown as before. The app is unresponsive to pressing the icons on the left column. 

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling this utility several times without success. It does launch on a different PC and Mac, just not this one.

I called tech support, and they promised to ask the developer, but they never got back to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Options
2019-04-14 04:23:21

I have this problem as well, my device is TL-PA7020P. Anyone have a solution ?

Options
Re:Re:tpPLC utility fails to show devices
2019-04-15 07:09:49

Hi, 

For your problem, here are some suggestions that you may have a try first:

Firstly, please make sure the powerline LED (home light) is on on both your powerline devices;

Secondly, please make sure the PC with tpPLC utility installed has no problem to access internet from the powerline device;

Thirdly, please try to unload the tpPLC Utility and download another one from our official website:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-pa7010-kit/#Utility

Or try to download the tpPLC on another computer and check if it is same.

Good day!

Options
2019-09-12 15:48:26

@Kevin_Z I tried the other utility that you linked to. It exhibits the same behaviour. It just shows a spinning symbol instead of displaying my network. It also seems to prevent the PC from restarting after I've launched the utility, so maybe something is still running in the background. The Powerline device itself is functioning correctly. Any other ideas? It does work on another PC, but just not this one.

Options
2019-09-17 08:40:48

I have the same issue with TP-WPA4220KIT v1.4

Does not find the device via WiFi or Ethernet (yes i am connected to the internet via the TPL devices)

Also cannot log on to the management url http://tplinkplc.net/

I downloaded the mobile app and also could not connect, but in this case i checked the list of devices and it did not have the 4220 v1 in the list.

Could this be the problem also with the desktop app?

How can i upgrade the firmware to the latest 4220 v4 and check?

Options
2019-09-17 08:46:17

Typical...

After i post i have one last idea, give it a try and it works...!

@Krakatos maybe it will work for you too.

Disable any endpoint protection you may have (eg symantec) or change the setting of the client to something less strict like "out of office premises".

Maybe an antivirus also has the same effect and blocks it.

Options
2020-08-16 16:28:41

Resurrecting an old thread because I have exactly the same problem. The app that we download doesn't work with any adapter (I have 3 different models from TP-Link).

The problem I think is that it's an Adobe flash-based application. The flash.ocx file that's included in the package is fromn 2014 and probably blocked as hell due to security reasons.

Replacing it by a more modern one won't fix it, since there are some compatibility issues.

Besides, by the end of this year Flash will be discontinued by Adobe.

TP-LINK: We need a way to manage our PLCs guys. If you opensource your code people like me might be able to help.

So far, the only option I see is getting a computer with an OLD operating system with no patches and maybe (maybe) we might be able to make it work.

Options
2020-09-04 22:49:31 - last edited 2021-01-18 03:32:57

@TanisDLJ Ok, so after many months, I think I have solved it. No thanks to TP-Link support.

I noticed that the TP-Link utility includes a packet capture utility called WinPcap as part of its installation. This is old and there may be incompatibilites with Windows 10.

There is another version of this utility which is designed for Windows 10. It is found here: www.win10pcap.org

Installing this free utility has now caused the TP-Link software to correctly show my devices.

Options
2020-11-25 21:09:35

@Krakatos hi! Thanks man, but still no luck for me :/.

Which version of the tp-link utility do you have?

Did you uninstalled the old Winpcap or just installed the new one?

Any change on the DLLs?

Options
2020-12-27 19:26:36

@TanisDLJ Uninstall the tpPLC Utility, and also WinPcap (go to remove programs to make sure it's no longer on the installed list). Install the tpPLC utility (there's a new one from November 2020, or the previous one should still work, too). When the installer ask you to install WinPcap, just cancel. It should continue and proceed to install tpPLC in the same session. Then download and install Win10Pcap on top of it. The tpPLC Utility should display all your devices a few seconds after you run the app. I just did this myself and it works.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 28682

Replies: 30

Related Articles