Wifi extender randomly loses connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-09 08:47:32
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hello, so recently I bought a Wi-Fi extender by tp-link but I came across a few issues.
Here's my setup: I have a wifi router 3 rooms away from mine. I have no problem connecting to that said router from my room, but my connection is poor. So I installed this wifi extender. First installation was smooth, everything worked correctly, the app says that the wifi extender is in a great spot and has great connection to my router. However.. every 3 hours or so, it completely loses connection to my router. No matter what I do, rebooting, unplugging from the wall.. even entirely reseting the extender. Nothing will help at all. For about 20 minutes, there is no way that I'm connecting the extender to my router. But, after those 20 minutes, it just starts working again. It finds the connection and everything is great again.

Keep in mind that in between those 20 minutes I can connect to my router wirelessly without any problems whatsoever. So it's not like the router stops working. And also if I access the extender settings while it's not working, I can scan the area and I'm able to see the wifi connection from my router. And I can connect. But I won't get any internet connection.

Anyone here have any idea what might cause this? Any help would be much appreciated

Details: Wi-Fi extender: tp-link RE450
Router: TP-Link TL-WR940N

Options
1 Reply
Re:Wifi extender randomly loses connection
2019-04-09 11:55:45

Hello,

What is the light status of RE450 when it lost connection?

How far away between the extender and main router? Have you setup different wifi name for it? 

What is the stability of the wired connection/whether you can get internet from RE450 by wired cable at that time?

What is the IP/default gateway you obtained when RE450 stops working? How to get them: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/838/

Besides, it is suggested to troubleshoot and narrow down the root cause as below instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2233/

Have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9306

Replies: 1

Related Articles