An Investigation on multi-functional USB port of TP-LINK routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

An Investigation on multi-functional USB port of TP-LINK routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
38 Reply
USB ports on WDR 4300
2013-10-31 20:03:12
USB functions on TPLINK wireless router - WDR4300:

- The two USB ports on my newly bought wireless router WDR4300 do not work at all: cannot use Print server, USB storage, Media storage, nor FPT server... .
- On Dlink wireless router 2750U USB functions work.
- Improvements on TP-LINK USB features should be done future development.
Options
DLNA Media Server with Sony Blu-Ray Player BDP-S5100
2014-01-08 11:07:04
I have been having similar problems to a lot of people on here.

I have enabled the media server on my WDR4300. I can't access my files from my Sony dlna blu-ray player, but I can access and play from the media server on my laptop and also directly from the same USB drive inserted to the blu-ray itself.

Very disappointed, hoping for a firmware upgrade soon!
Options
+1 vote on improving DLNA feature
2014-01-29 05:48:49

Bamboom wrote

You got to be kidding me....have't You have noticed the complaints coming from all over the world about the media server capabilities? I dont't know, is kind of lame to ask what must be improved......

Sincerelly I hope to solve all the issues expecially with the media server since this is the main thing for which i decided to purchase this router.

+ 1 vote, wanted to write the same
Options
Why did you start this thread????
2014-02-08 23:28:16
Dear TP Link forum member.

I have a question. Why did you start this topic almost a year ago and ever since never responded to any feedback? You should at least interact with your customers and manage expectations with regards to future improvements.

Looking forward to a positive response!
Options
SO MANY PEOPLE with problem of USB external hard disc conncetion
2014-02-20 07:06:15
HEY, I am also not happy with TP-LINK , as there is a hole for USB -- which suppose we can connect external hard drive there

I include the approximate purchase date for each item (members here could PM me, I allow PM here, probably your PM message or solution, I will get notified by email too that there is a message to read, add this URL in your PM, so I can find the solution )

what I got
TP-link (5 functions in 1 router) model no TL-WR710N bought this week

sony home theatre model no BDV-N590 bought within 1 year

fujitsu notebook bought 5 years ago with no DLNA to stream video to sony

external hard disk -- toshiba -- 1T drive or 1000G -- bought within 1 year

====

video look awesome, those big file, it might appear HD with sony player
the problem -- I have to unplug the external hard drive and re-plug it in SONY's home theater USB ( although just 1meter away)

=== my intention, wanna to watch video, with SONY (how to setup sony to see WiFi USB video content in sony, I don't know)

i.e. my physical activity would be

plug the TOSHIBA hard drive to TP-Link -- the USB port

hope that I can still download video by FUJITSU computer recognise the external hard drive via WIFI wireless
then
SONY got the menu function to recognise the external hard drive via WIFI wireless

so I can download from computer to that hard disk
then I can stream video from that hard disk to sony

===== result : look at some google found tutorial, then crash my TP-LINK wireless router several time, crash mean, press PHYSICAL RESET hole in the TP-link, then set up SSID and MYpassword again with the wireless router setting

the electricity or the USB HOLE of TP-link seem to have problem too, not fully plug in, but plug in then slightly to the right to make good electrical contact

===============

so my QUESTIONS to the knowledgable people is

will it be worthwhile to try to plug EXTERNAL hard disk to any TP-link WIRELESS wifi router ?

do you think my above set up will work -- -i.e. could I make my computer able to download (feed data) to external hard drive if it is connected to TP-link ?

do you think my SONY player could READ (getting data) from external hard drive and PLAY THE VIDEO ?

=== or after you have similar experience, it will fail, and totally not worth to try the TP-link USB connected to external storage device AGAIN ?? :confused:
Options
same problem with it
2014-02-28 11:54:02
my problem when sending files to the usb device through the network it would crash (disconnect) making it useless.
Options
GPT Support
2014-03-18 22:12:22
I have a TL-WDR4300 . I need GPT partition type support, to enable HDDs bigger than 3Tb. I think many people need this, and thinking on actual home storage, 3Tb is very common.

Razer
Options
SONY Home Theater can't see TL-WDR4300 media server
2014-05-16 23:20:11
I have SONY Home Theater System which is DLNA compliant (1 year old).
First I installed a media server software on my Server Workstation at home and it worked fine with the SONY system.
In fact I tried some different available freeware media servers and all of them worked fine.

Then I decided to buy a wireless router with integrated media server and I chose the TL-WDR4300.
I plugged my USB media storage (2TB) to the router and activated its media server.

All PC's at home can now see and connect to the media server on the router, but the SONY system can't.
As I said, the SONY works fine with any media server software in the market.
There are obviously some issues with the TL-WDR4300 following the DLNA specifications.

I can also see that the administrator started this thread asking for feedback about the router's USB performance, but they never responded to the problems/questions/suggestions.
I'm just wandering if a firmware update is planned in order to solve the media server issues of the router.
Options
USB harddrives sucks
2014-07-18 00:28:44
External disks seems to go into standby which is nice, but they don't come back up unless sharing is stopped and then started.
HW might be good, but the sw seems like 2005ish.
Options
WDR-4300 usb storage is really terrible.
2014-08-12 03:27:21
Trying to use a 1TB WD (my Passport) shared in the network and the transfer rate is far from reasonable 1MByte/sec...! It's almost impossible to use as a network HDD.

And I'm not talking about wi-fi issues, I'm using a 100Mbps wired connection and planning to use a CAT6 cable. However, if transfer rate is so low, there is no sense in improving any wired connection!

For god sake, is there anything that can be made to turn this issue into a solved one?

Thank you in advance.
Options
Related Articles