MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-14 04:46:41 - last edited 2021-04-02 01:49:46
Model: TL-WA850RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi! I hope someone can help me. I have a MacBook Pro and MacBook Air and they can't connect at start up to the wifi, when the range extender is on. They do connect at start up when I unplug the extender. The extender is a TP Link TL-WA850RE.

I do have to say that my iPhones, iPads and dell computers don't have any problem.

Hope someone can help me.

Regards,

Gabriel

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE-Solution
2021-04-02 01:49:42 - last edited 2021-04-02 01:50:00

@Andychen Good day

For anyone who met the same problem , new firmware fixed the issue with MacBook very long time ago , so please make sure your tp-link device's firmware is up to date: 

Select hardware version and check the latest firmware for TL-WA850RE here:  

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/tl-wa850re/#Firmware

How to find the hardware and firmware version of my TP-Link device? 

At first, we should make sure other device like  laptop or  mobile phone is able to connect to range extender's SSID using the same password with no problem. 

It is recommended to set up a different SSID (Wi-Fi name ) for range extender so we could tell it's the Wi-Fi from router or the extender. 

If MacBook does not ask for the Wi-Fi password but got problem when connects to Wi-Fi, please delete Wi-Fi profile and reconnect to it with instruction below: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/286/

If the same problem, please let us know the Model/ Firmware/ Hardware of your extender, and model of your MacBook, and share a photo of the Error when connect Wi-Fi on your MAC, thanks~

Recommended Solution
Options
18 Reply
Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-16 05:37:45

Hi, 

With extender powered on, please go to airport service in the list of the network, then click on Advanced button, check if there is an option to allow you to select preferred networks. If it is, please select the extender wireless network.

Is the wireless name of extender same as your router's? What is the version of your MacBook Pro and MacBook Air?

Hope that helps, good day!

Options
Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-16 16:38:51

Hi kevin_Z, thanks for the response!! The name of the network is the same and the macbook pro is a 2017 model. If the names are the same, can I still select prefered networks?

Thanks!!

Gabriel

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi, 

With extender powered on, please go to airport service in the list of the network, then click on Advanced button, check if there is an option to allow you to select preferred networks. If it is, please select the extender wireless network.

Is the wireless name of extender same as your router's? What is the version of your MacBook Pro and MacBook Air?

Hope that helps, good day!

Options
Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-17 02:00:04

Hi,

Thanks for the information provided.

In this case, please try this: turn off the router, leave extender on. Then choose preferred network as the extender's first. After that, turn on the router. 

If it is still same, please check if you can give a different name for the extender so that we can set extender as preferred network again to isolate the problem.

https://www.tp-link.com/ch/support/faq/1267/

Gooda day!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-18 00:14:54

kevin, i only have one network on my computer. So I can't select a prefered network. Giving the extender a different name would be the same as having 2 networks? or it would connect to either of them automatically? All I wanted was to have one network. What is strange for me is that phones or tablets don't have that problem. The other strange thing is that as soon the computer starts, it appears as connected to the wifi, but then it logs out. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-18 01:31:34

ElGabo wrote

kevin, i only have one network on my computer. So I can't select a prefered network. Giving the extender a different name would be the same as having 2 networks? or it would connect to either of them automatically? All I wanted was to have one network. What is strange for me is that phones or tablets don't have that problem. The other strange thing is that as soon the computer starts, it appears as connected to the wifi, but then it logs out. 

Hi,

There will be 2 networks once you give a differnet name for the extender, you need choose them manually to connect.

While cause the current Macbook is unable to join the wifi, you can give it a go by changing a different name for the extender.

Besides, please ensure that the firmware is up to date, If not, please upgrade it first. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wa850re/v5/#Firmware 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-18 12:48:57 - last edited 2019-04-18 22:29:43

Kevin, thanks for all the help you've been providing. I found something else. The mac actually connects but doesn't get an ip address, so they end up disconnecting. Is that possible?

The strange thing is that if i select the network manually, after it tries to connect, it goes online straight ahead.

Hope you can help me!!!

As you can see I connected but no IP address:

Thanks!!

Kevin_Z wrote

ElGabo wrote

Hi,

There will be 2 networks once you give a differnet name for the extender, you need choose them manually to connect.

While cause the current Macbook is unable to join the wifi, you can give it a go by changing a different name for the extender.

Besides, please ensure that the firmware is up to date, If not, please upgrade it first. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wa850re/v5/#Firmware 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-19 06:27:26

Hi,

I do not understand the picture cause the language difference. While from your description, I got your point.

What is the current light status of the 855RE? 

What do you mean "if you select the network manually, after it tries to connect, it goes online straight ahead"? Once you choose the extender's network manually and connect, you can access internet?

Besides, is firmware up to date now? If not, please update the firmware first. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wa855re/#Firmware

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-20 05:03:46 - last edited 2019-04-20 05:14:07

IThe firmware is updated, the RE light is on, the wireless light, the power light and 3 sígnal lights are also on.

After turning in the computer, or off and on the wifi, the computer connects but doesn’t get an ip address, after some minutes the computer finally disconnects from the network. Afterwards, I tell the computer to connect to the wifi and goes online without a problem and gets and ip address right ahead.

Thanks for the pacience.

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

I do not understand the picture cause the language difference. While from your description, I got your point.

What is the current light status of the 855RE? 

What do you mean "if you select the network manually, after it tries to connect, it goes online straight ahead"? Once you choose the extender's network manually and connect, you can access internet?

Besides, is firmware up to date now? If not, please update the firmware first. 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-wa855re/#Firmware

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-22 08:20:17

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it seems that there is something wrong on the computer; 

Did you try to update the driver of the network adapter built-in in the computer or forget the network and reconnect to the TP-Link wifi? 

Note: For the driver upgrade, you can contact the Apple tech support, for the second instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/286/

Besides, may I know do you have the same issue with your computer connects to the main router's wifi? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:MacBook problems with TL-WA850RE
2019-04-22 19:10:20

Kevin, I tried forgetting the network, but it didn't work.

Regarding your question, I don't have the same problem if I turn off the extender, this only happens when the extender is on. If I unplug it, the computer connects directly, and an IP address is assigned. BUT, if I turn it on, then the computer tries to connect automatically but no IP is assigned, then because of that the computer disconnects form the wifi. After that, I tell the computer to connect to the network and it goes online.

Regards and thanks for the patience.

Kevin_Z wrote

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it seems that there is something wrong on the computer; 

Did you try to update the driver of the network adapter built-in in the computer or forget the network and reconnect to the TP-Link wifi? 

Note: For the driver upgrade, you can contact the Apple tech support, for the second instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/286/

Besides, may I know do you have the same issue with your computer connects to the main router's wifi? 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7536

Replies: 18

Related Articles