Deco Lookups to a.root-servers.net

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-15 00:37:36
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Latest

I ahve three deco's in Access Point mode. I note the primary deco is making significant lookups  (over 9000) in the last 2 weeks to a.root-servers.net. Why would this be happening? 

9098   a.root-servers.net                        

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco Lookups to a.root-servers.net
2019-04-16 01:54:33

Hi,

It is normal. It is for Internet LED testing. And it will not effect the network. Do you have any problem with the internet from Deco?

Good day!

Options
Re:Re:Deco Lookups to a.root-servers.net
2019-04-17 05:22:17

Dear Kevin_Z

I sometimes find the Deco app stops communciating and I need to reboot the Primary deco. Wireless clients are able to connect.

over 80% of the traffic is lookups to a.rootservers.net, hence my question. Can you explain what you mean by "its for Internet LED testing"? Is the deco checking to see if it can connect to the Internet? If thats the case, it seems to be doing it a Lot.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco Lookups to a.root-servers.net
2019-04-19 01:06:43

momall wrote

Dear Kevin_Z

I sometimes find the Deco app stops communciating and I need to reboot the Primary deco. Wireless clients are able to connect.

over 80% of the traffic is lookups to a.rootservers.net, hence my question. Can you explain what you mean by "its for Internet LED testing"? Is the deco checking to see if it can connect to the Internet? If thats the case, it seems to be doing it a Lot.

Hi,

We did a test at our lab, the packet for DNS is small and won't be up to 80% of the traffic; so I'm afraid that the lookups to a.rootservers.net occupies over 80% of the whole DNS traffic, not the whole network traffic. 

Meanwhile, the domain name/server is used to test the network connection, if the connection got disconnected, the internet led will shows up as red to indicates that there is no internet access. 

Regarding to the Deco app issue, is there any error message on the APP when it stops communicating with Deco units? 

Besides, what is the current hardware and firmware version of Deco? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco Lookups to a.root-servers.net
2019-04-22 06:44:48

App is 1.8.6 and firmware 1.2.8 shows as  current.

Thank you for explanation regarding lookup percentages.

No error messages when the app stops communicating.

I have taken to killing the app and restarting if it seems to freeze 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco Lookups to a.root-servers.net
2019-04-23 00:50:51

Hi,

Thanks for your valued reply. 

When the app stops communicating with Deco units, can you get internet from the Deco by wired cable or by wifi? 

Have you tried to reinstall the APP? And do you have any other smart phone can do a comparison analysis? 

Any updates, please let me know. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2089

Replies: 5