Pixelated custom icons in Kasa? How do I see my custom icons as intended?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-21 09:12:54 - last edited 2021-03-23 06:03:25
Model: HS110  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.5

In the Android version of Kasa (Version 2.11.0, Build 845), I'm trying to select custom device icons that I've made, via the Albums option for "Customize Icon", but each uploaded image comes out as a 5x5 pixeated representation of the actual image I've selected (see screenshot below). How do I show the actual image I want to represent for each device? Is there a pixel-size, file-size, or file-type limitation? I've tried both .jpg and .png, and my original images are only 150x150 pixels in size.

Here's what I actually see in Kasa:

Here's what I want to see for my 2 devices:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Pixelated custom icons in Kasa? How do I see my custom icons as intended?-Solution
2019-04-21 22:32:31 - last edited 2021-03-23 06:03:25

I've done some more testing, and here's what I've learned.

The Kasa app creates a sub-directory; Android Device Name > Internal Storage > Pictures > Kasa , in which it stores copies of the selected icon image (regardless of the icon's original source... albums, camera, doesn't matter). The copied image will have the filename "kasa_crop_<40char hex string>.jpg". also created will be a second copy, with filename kasa_background etc. etc.

It is the image copies that Kasa is creating that is somehow going wrong; each generated copy is literally 5 pixels by 5 pixels in dimensions, and 401 bytes large, suggesting the app's image compression/resizing code might be at fault. Perhaps the calculation has a decimal error (intending to create a resized image of 500x500 pixels maybe?)

Once Kasa has created all these squished files, there is a workaround. You can copy the exact filename that is generated, then replace the Kasa-created image icon with your original intended image, albeit renamed to use the Kasa-generated filename. This then appears in Kasa as you would expect it to

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Pixelated custom icons in Kasa? How do I see my custom icons as intended?-Solution
2019-04-21 22:32:31 - last edited 2021-03-23 06:03:25

I've done some more testing, and here's what I've learned.

The Kasa app creates a sub-directory; Android Device Name > Internal Storage > Pictures > Kasa , in which it stores copies of the selected icon image (regardless of the icon's original source... albums, camera, doesn't matter). The copied image will have the filename "kasa_crop_<40char hex string>.jpg". also created will be a second copy, with filename kasa_background etc. etc.

It is the image copies that Kasa is creating that is somehow going wrong; each generated copy is literally 5 pixels by 5 pixels in dimensions, and 401 bytes large, suggesting the app's image compression/resizing code might be at fault. Perhaps the calculation has a decimal error (intending to create a resized image of 500x500 pixels maybe?)

Once Kasa has created all these squished files, there is a workaround. You can copy the exact filename that is generated, then replace the Kasa-created image icon with your original intended image, albeit renamed to use the Kasa-generated filename. This then appears in Kasa as you would expect it to

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3709

Replies: 1

Related Articles