Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-04-29 15:23:59
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have 2 deco m5 units, the main is connected via PPPOE to my fiber network, The other port on the Main deco is connected to the 2nd deco. the other port on the second deco is connected to my wired network. My Desktop PC is connected to a D-Link un-managed gigabit switch which is connected to my wired network.

All my wired networks are using CAT6 cables.

When I run speed tests on my Desktop I get about 500Mbps downstream.

When I use my ISP Router Modem to connect to the internet and use the main deco in Access Point Mode I manage to get above 500Mbps downstream speeds.

Is there any speed limitation in router mode on the deco?

I want to utilize deco routed mode fuctions (such as parental controls QoS and Virus protection) but in access point mode it is disabled.

Thanks for the help.

Dekel

Options
18 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-03 08:13:27

Hi,

So the current network topology is modem--Main Deco--2nd Deco--D-Link unmanaged switch-desktop PC? 

Meanwhile, there is no speed limitation in router mode on the Deco, while you can connect the desktop to the switch to run the test,  to locate the issue, it is suggested to connect your desktop to the Main Deco directly by wired cable to run the speed test. Please show us the screenshot of the speed test result. 

Meanwhile, you can set QoS as standard and clear all the high priority items to give it a go. 

Any updates, please let me know. 

Good day. 

Dekel wrote

I have 2 deco m5 units, the main is connected via PPPOE to my fiber network, The other port on the Main deco is connected to the 2nd deco. the other port on the second deco is connected to my wired network. My Desktop PC is connected to a D-Link un-managed gigabit switch which is connected to my wired network.

All my wired networks are using CAT6 cables.

When I run speed tests on my Desktop I get about 500Mbps downstream.

When I use my ISP Router Modem to connect to the internet and use the main deco in Access Point Mode I manage to get above 500Mbps downstream speeds.

Is there any speed limitation in router mode on the deco?

I want to utilize deco routed mode fuctions (such as parental controls QoS and Virus protection) but in access point mode it is disabled.

Thanks for the help.

Dekel

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-20 09:18:41 - last edited 2019-05-20 15:03:19

No need to connect the desktop directly to the M5.

Its enough to use the Deco internal speed test and you can clearly see the difference.

Fiber --- Deco PPPOE connection:

Fiber --- Modem -- Deco

Static Lan IP:

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-21 06:53:30

Hi,

From the 2 pictures, there do have some difference with.without modem connected. While we need do more troubleshooting, and the actual speed you can get from the Deco is important as well. 

Please follow the instruction below to do some tests. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2429/

Note: Please show us the screenshots of the speed test with your device connected to the Deco/modem directly.

Any updates, just let us know. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-23 08:57:38

Hi,

I bought the deco M5 this week and I have the same problem. I use PPOE connection with a fibre modem. I tested my internet speed with three different routers.

Mikrotik 3011 ~930Mbps (tested from desktop pc wired gigabit)

My old TP-LINK WR-1043ND ~800Mbps. (tested from desktop pc wired gigabit)

The Deco ~500Mbps. (tested from desktop pc wired gigabit and from the deco app) When the speedtest run I see 70-90% cpu load on main deco.

I use the latest firmware 1.3.0 Bulid 2019.04.19 70702

I am really disappointed now.

Any suggestion?

Best regards, 

Attila Jakab

Options
Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-23 09:14:27

How can you see the cpu load on the deco? Curious to check mine.

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-23 09:28:26 - last edited 2019-05-23 09:29:10

I think this is a new feature with the latest firmware, you can access your deco with a browser and there is.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-23 09:35:40
Aha thanks will check it when i am home
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-24 10:00:21

Atesz wrote

Hi,

I bought the deco M5 this week and I have the same problem. I use PPOE connection with a fibre modem. I tested my internet speed with three different routers.

Mikrotik 3011 ~930Mbps (tested from desktop pc wired gigabit)

My old TP-LINK WR-1043ND ~800Mbps. (tested from desktop pc wired gigabit)

The Deco ~500Mbps. (tested from desktop pc wired gigabit and from the deco app) When the speedtest run I see 70-90% cpu load on main deco.

I use the latest firmware 1.3.0 Bulid 2019.04.19 70702

I am really disappointed now.

Any suggestion?

Best regards, 

Attila Jakab

Go to QoS, set the QoS level to Standard and clear all devices high priorities. 

After that, check again if the issue is okay. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-24 12:08:46 - last edited 2019-05-24 12:09:54

I have not used QoS, but I selected something else and then selected standard again. I don't have anything on the high priority list.

And of course the only client is my desktop pc on the network when I make speedtest. Everything is the same.

It looks like the cpu is not powerfull enough for faster PPoE connections above 500Mbps. Dekel experienced the same like me. And when he used static lan (there is no need extra power from cpu for ppoe protocol) he could reach 800Mpbs.

Deco M9 can over 900Mbps with PPoE?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 Ethernet Speeds
2019-05-28 14:21:43

TP-LINK Deco? Kevin? Anybody?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8815

Replies: 18

Related Articles