Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
124 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet
2020-01-16 20:45:41

@MarekT 

@Kevin_Z 

@Support 

@TP-Link 

Worse still, even after powering down the Deco devices and just booting the main one it STILL insists on dishing out IP addresses FFS.

DHCP services are active and running on my network. How the hell can this product be so sh1t to be doing this???????

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet
2020-01-16 22:32:47

@Kevin_Z I am worried by the poor quality of the 1.4 update, and I am now really really worried about this dhcp problem I have been reading about. I have not had the problem yet, but if there is a temporary problem with my router dhcp in the future, this will break my home network too. To step in with your own dhcp server in AP mode because you have detected the main server is not working is a ludicrous thing to do, it is virtually guaranteed to break something. What are you trying to achieve? Saying your server will stop when the main server comes back is irrelevant because any devices which have been assigned a bad address by you will carry on not working. You must urgently address the problem and provide the option to turn this behaviour off. 

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet
2020-01-21 12:02:28

@MarekT 

@Kevin_Z 

@Support 

@TP-Link 

Hello TP-Link team, happy holidays!

I have found out about the existence of a beta firmware for the Deco M9 Plus, which has some additional requested features. I hope, that the same functions (as in the M5 for example) are finally available for the higher end device we all bought. Including the DHCP function. Would somebody please send me a link and installation instructions, as I would love to test it and give feedback aswell.

Thank you,

Marek

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus in AP mode taking over DHCP server and assigning IPs in own subnet
2020-01-21 12:30:09
Happy to also participate. Especially if the beta allows the DHCP functionality to be fully disabled.
Options
2020-01-23 01:53:50 - last edited 2020-01-24 15:03:20

Hi all,

The feature to enable/disable DHCP server on Deco units has been forwarded to our product department, they will work on it and evaluate the feasibility. 

But the estimated supporting time is still unsure. You can keep an eye on Deco APP or official website for more updates. 

Thanks for your kindly understanding and support in advance.

Good day. 

Options
2020-01-23 07:05:17 - last edited 2020-01-23 07:05:56

@Kevin_Z 

Finally an update. Although a bittersweet one.

It has taken over half a year to get this feature request to your product teams from its initial reporting. Despite many folks demonstrating how destructive your smart DHCP feature is on their networks.

For those people, myself included, what is an interim workaround to avoid having our networks split down the middle every time this unwanted functionality triggers?

May I ask that you don't leave this thread unanswered for such a long time. We have all spent money on your product and suffering technical issues due to its undocumented behaviour. Please continue to assist us in a timely manner.

Options
2020-01-23 07:11:00

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin,

Thank you and development for attending to this urgent matter. I am sure we all will be looking forward for a firmware having this feature.

The decos are otherwise great products (I use multiple types and numbers), but the M9 Plus have been behind.

Should it be possible, I would like to test the available beta firmware anyway, as I can not utilize my 10x M9 Plus until this is solved anyway. Should there in future be a beta with the DHCP feature, I am sure not only me would like to test it aswell.

Thank you

Options
2020-01-23 07:13:39

@Kevin_Z 

In fact, I take my comment back about it being a bittersweet reply.

How has this been marked as a solution to the problem?!?!?!?!

After 8 months since the initial report, NOTHING has been solved. The only thing to have happened is that a feature request has made it to the product team (we have to trust that on face value too).

Kevin - can you explain why your response has been marked as a solution please?

Options
2020-02-28 12:16:13

@phillip_mcmahon 

did anyone get any news from TP-Link?

where does everybody stand? You guys still have this problem or you found a solution?

thanks 

Options
2020-02-28 16:31:24

> I hope someone will fix this serious flaw in the firmware...

The real, classic problem is that TP link does not consider this a bug, but a true feature... frown 

Options
Related Articles