T1700-28TQ shut down / restart when SPF unit powers off

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-03 11:20:06
Model: T1700G-28TQ  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20170608 Rel.61525(s)

Hi all - 

Just picked up the switch yesterday, and got it configured/set up during the day.  It seems, however, that when my PC powered down the switch also shut itself off.  

My PC uses a Mellanox ConnectX adapter on SPF form factor.  It was attached to port 28 of the switch.

After this incident, the Mellanox seems to have decided that it wants to boot the PC off a network BIOS.  This may be unrelated, or it may be an aftereffect, but it happened at the same time, so I think they are interlinked somehow. 

I have since removed the Mellanox and its cable, then replaced both in the PC.  The switch seemed happy and the PC booted properly.  

However - when I shut down the PC (using graceful Windows power-down), the switch also powered down.  

The PC powered up properly (no Mellanox problem this time).  Upon powering up, the switch also powered up and restored its running config properly (but this does take 2 minutes or more).  

Has anyone observed behavior like this?  Is this some setting that I've missed in config that is making it do this?  The switch needs to be independent of the machines connected to it, and preferably always on.  

What'd I miss here?

Many thanks - 

T

Options
2 Reply
Re:T1700-28TQ shut down / restart when SPF unit powers off
2019-05-04 10:29:15
Problem solved - turns out the UPS into which both the PC and the Switch were connected, thought the PC was a master device. When the master stopped drawing current, slave devices were shut down, and the switch was considered a slave. After moving the power cable to a new source, the problem disappeared.
Options
Re:Re:T1700-28TQ shut down / restart when SPF unit powers off
2019-05-14 02:37:48

Hi, glad to hear that it works, congrats.^_^

And thanks for your valued reply.

If need any further help, just let us know.

Good day

Thomas_Theobald wrote

Problem solved - turns out the UPS into which both the PC and the Switch were connected, thought the PC was a master device. When the master stopped drawing current, slave devices were shut down, and the switch was considered a slave. After moving the power cable to a new source, the problem disappeared.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 849

Replies: 2