Why is my repeater internet speed slower when connected via CAT6 cable than with a faint wifi signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why is my repeater internet speed slower when connected via CAT6 cable than with a faint wifi signal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-20 05:47:08

Model: TL-WA901ND

My house is wired with CAT6 cable. Ive installed a repeater on the top floor. When repeating from the wifi signal only i get speeds under half that of the main router, i think due to the main router being quite far away (3 floors down). When i plug in the CAT6 cable which is connected directly to the main router in the basement, i get significatly lower speeds than the wifi only option.

The top and bottom speeds in the test below are on wifi and the two middle speeds are with the CAT6 cable plugged into the repeater. Any suggestions? do i have cable issues?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Why is my repeater internet speed slower when connected via CAT6 cable than with a faint wifi signal
2019-05-21 01:26:57

Hi,

Next to the 901ND, what is the speed you can get from the main router's wifi? 

Back to your case, with your computer connected to the 901ND only, please run speed test for 3 times and show me the screenshot of the results.

Note: Please check the wired negotiation speed as well. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Besides, what is the current hardware and firmware version of the 901ND?

Thanks in advance, and have a good day. 

Options