Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-23 17:26:33 - last edited 2019-05-23 17:47:16
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I am looking to replace my current mesh wifi service with something that can support the following;

1) Disabling the AP Isolation.

I have read that the Deco product doesn't allow wireless devices to connect to LAN connected devices.  Can this feature be disabled? I absolutely need some of my wireless devices to connect to devices that are connected to the LAN (e.g. file server, NAS, Sonos, etc.)

2) Guest SSID with VLAN Tagging

I am looking to enable the GUEST mode on the Deco (access point) and for those devices that connect to the Guest SSID to utilise a separate IP address and be a member of a seperate VLAN.  The underlying switch supports VLAN Trunking, etc. so I should be able to utilise just the one LAN connection to support 802.1Q tagging.

I haven't purchased a device as yet, but want to make sure TP-Link supports these features before purchasing.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Options
38 Reply
Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-05-24 05:42:54

I can't answer 2.  but as to 1. - There is no isolation between the LAN (wired) devices and the WLAN (WiFi) connected devices.  I have a NAS and printer that are wired and no issues connecting to them from any WLAN client.  I wonder if what you have read is connected to your second question?  As far as I know wired devices are always on the main network, and never on the Guest network.  So wireless devices on the Guest SSID won't be able to connect to your wired devices. 

Hope that helps a little...

Options
2019-05-24 13:37:11

Hi ajharvey,

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

I only asked about the AP Isolation due to a review on TechAdvisor (https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/mesh-wi-fi/tp-link-deco-m5-review-3659363/) whichs stated;

Limitations

One of the downsides of the Deco system is that Wi-Fi devices connected to the network can't see wired devices attached to your main router. For example, our iMac could no longer 'find' our printer that's connected to our BT Home Hub via a network cable after switching from the Home Hub's Wi-Fi to the Deco.

However if you're not seeing the issue, that's a plus and good to know.

Options
Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-05-25 00:42:22

I see what Techadvisor is trying to do, and they’re right, it won’t work like that.  To clarify, the Deco system has 2 modes: in “router” mode it asts as your internet router, provides content filtering, antivirus, parental controls, etc and where your ISP provided kit (BT home hub in this case) is relegated to the role of modem. In this mode stuff plugged into the hub is on the Internet as far as the Deco is concerned.  Wired devices can be connected to the Decos themselves, or to a switch connected to a Deco - on the inside.

the other mode “access point” is where the Decos provide only mesh Wifi.  In this mode the wired ports on the ISP kit are on the same network as the Wireless devices, but the ISP kit is responsible for the network services like filtering, parental controls, etc (it may not provide these, of course, but the Deco can’t either)

it it looks to me like Techadvisor has their setup in Router mode, but has left their wired devices on the outside of the network.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Guest VLAN Tagging + No AP Isolation?
2019-05-25 18:58:30
hi ajharvey, Good call, you are absolutely right - I should have read the article a little more in detail. Well that's good news, now I just need to see whether Guest mode supports VLAN tagging and I'll be a happy little nerd :)
Options
2019-05-27 01:28:25

Hi,

First, the devices connected to the host wireless network can access the wired devices, like the NAS, printer or so, so you do not have to worry about it.

Second, the Deco M5, P7 and Deco M9 plus support isolation between the guest network and the host wifi network in regular router mode. Meanwhile, there is a plan to add this feature to Deco when it works as access point mode. 

For further information or updates, you can keep an eye on our official website. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-07-18 01:31:24

Hello,

New M9 owner here, I need the same function. VLAN tagging on Guest Network in AP only mode.

Thanks,

Options
2019-07-30 11:04:38 - last edited 2019-07-30 11:06:21

Any update on when that will be release?

I also need SNMP monitoring, so we can monitor WIFI traffic from monitoring software.

Kevin_Z wrote

Meanwhile, there is a plan to add this feature to Deco when it works as access point mode. 

Options
2019-07-31 07:02:56

@MattSBR 

Deco does not support VLAN Tagging in AP mode, and for now the guest network is isolated from the main router in regular router mode only. Per I said, there is a plan to add this feature in AP mode but not know the release date. 

Besides, it does not support SNMP monitoring, we will remind our R&D team. 

Options
2019-08-11 03:56:31

How can I turn off lan isolation between guest and main SSID ?

I need to use AirPrint but my devices are all on the main 5Ghz network while my HP printer can only connect to my 2.4Ghz guest network.

anyway to use port forwarding to discover/enable AirPrint from the guest network ?

thanks

Options
2019-08-12 01:32:01

@JohnnyGoRJ 

The isolation between guest network and main network only works in regular router mode only, if you want to turn it off, you can change the Deco into AP mode as a workaround.

Meanwhile, you mentioned that your printer can only connect to the 2.4GHz guest network; you can try to connect it to the main 2.4GHz network; below are some suggestions you can give it a go.

1. Turn off 5GHz, with 2.4GHz enabled only. 

2. Turn off fast roaming and setup QoS as standard to give it a go.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 15762

Replies: 38