Slow wifi speed from TP-Link Range Extender WA860RE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-26 23:23:28
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased 2 TP-WA860RE.  I installed one upstairs and one downstairs to extend my network. When I connect to the host network I have 75 mbps.  When I connect through the extender I get half the speed:  22 mbps.   This is unacceptable, right?  What can I do to improve the speed?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Slow wifi speed from TP-Link Range Extender WA860RE
2019-05-27 10:06:35

Hi,

The speed will be affected by the actual network environment, like distance, obstacles, other wireless devices as well. 

With computer connected to the extender, please check the wired speed and wireless speed separately. Then please show me the pictures of test results.

Meanwhile, please check the wired/wireless link speed: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

To do a comparison analysis, please put your computer next to the extender and connect it to the main router to run the speed test and show me the result. 

Besides,, you can refer  to the information below to troubleshoot.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2232/

Any updates, please let me know.

Best regards.

Options
2020-05-02 18:09:11 - last edited 2020-05-02 20:50:50

@Kevin_Z Hi, sorry for reviving an old thread (and for a slightly different model), but it's the first search result if you go with "tp link extender low speed" on search engines so this might help other people with the same issue.

I've got my ISP's router in a room and the extender on a hallway corner so the WiFi can reach a room around the corner.

If I use my laptop connected to my ISP's router's 2.4GHz WiFi I get 50mbps for downloading anything from a reliable server and same on speedtest.net

If I place my laptop in the same spot I would put the extender (I literally placed the laptop over the electrical socket) I get around 20mbps, which is OK.

If I put the extender in said place and connect my laptop to it with an ethernet cable, I get 7mbps at best, quite disappointing.

If I connect my laptop via WiFi to the extender I get less than 1mbps, taking me down memory lane to the dial-up days.

I've tried moving around (eg. outside the range of the ISP's router) but nothing helps.

Placing the extender closer to my ISP's router doesn't help.

My extender is a TP Link TL-WA850RE(AR)

Hardware version: 4.0

Firmware version: 1.0.0 Build 20170109 Rel. 58858

Update: I've upgraded the Firmware Version to the latest (1.0.0 Build 20180409 Rel. 58019) and this got me to a usable point (9mbps when connected to the extender via Ethernet, 5mbps when connected to the extender via WiFi, with the extender in the elbow of the hallway in both cases). Any advice (advenced settings?) in increasing the performance though? The space is as clear as it can be made along the airpath the signal should be travelling.

Options
2020-08-16 13:16:56

@NMKbdb I have absolutely the same problem, although my firmware is newer (and I don't know how to update the firmware at this point). TL-WA855RE network extender provides slow internet, even when right next to the device. Interestingly, Wi-fi Status from Windows' Network and Sharing Centre shows the speed to be 144 mbps. However speedtest.net shows it at around 30 mbps, which was even at 7 mbps the previous time i checked. 

Very annoying. Zero idea where this is coming from, tp-link don't seem to have an online support center.

Options
2020-10-28 19:03:45

@Gliturr 

I have the same problem. Was this ever solved?

Options
2020-10-30 06:13:23

@Knolle 

Good day,

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

May I know where are you located and how long have you had the TL-WA860RE?

How much speed you could get from the TL-WA860RE?

And how much speed from the 2.4ghz of home router directly at the same place?

Did you have any laptop which could help me test the Ethernet speed from the 860RE as well?

If possible, please try to modify the wireless channel of the home router, such as channel 1/6/11 for 2.4ghz?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-11-18 18:33:25

@Solla-topee Same problem. Tried to contact TP link customer care but no reply. It is really irritating. Host router is giving 100mbps tp link rounter (ARCHER C50) is giving only 50mbps and sometimes even 20mbps. 

Options
2020-11-20 03:39:14

@BenAcc 

Good day,

Sorry for the delay.

Did you have slow wireless speed from Archer C50, or you have a range extender TL-WWA850RE as well?

And I guess It is C50.

Since you have two routers, did you set up the C50 as the access point, repeater or the default router mode?

As C50 is dual-band, did you have slow speed on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Options
2021-02-08 16:25:24

I have the same problem  with tl-wa860re, i have a 100mbs line and extender give 6-7mbs

Options
2021-02-19 17:42:37

@NMKbdb 

I have the same problem with TL-WA855RE

Original WIFI= 97Mbs     after Extender= 11Mbs

Please help!    Thanks!

Options
2021-02-22 09:05:52

@Jairoz @compkos 

The speed that RE gets directly from router is quite important,  please test what is 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi speed from Router at  the Same Location of RE ? 
Please check the actual speed and Wi-Fi link speed when your device is connected to Range extender & main router separately and share the results here: 
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/709/

If possible,  please get a  laptop which can wire to Extender and test RE's  Ethernet speed?
Please also try to modify the wireless channel of the home router, such as channel 1/6/11 for 2.4ghz and see if speed gets better or not. 

Kindly note that range extender get speed from router first then forward to your PC or clients, this communication is one- way only at a time,  RE's speed could decrease around 50% during this transmission. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 19690

Replies: 10