Ability to disable DHCP in router mode

Ability to disable DHCP in router mode

55 Reply
Re:Ability to disable DHCP in router mode
2020-09-25 09:06:32

Really?? This is the first router I see in 25 years that doesn't have an option to disable the DHCP server. And I have seen plenty of them... Will be returning mine, too bad I wasted time with TP-Link.

Options
2020-09-25 09:20:39

@zorrog  

I don't know why the doesn't want make It. I think all router modeprotection is managed with dchp. If is not like this... Is justo make a button yo be able yo set dhcp server state as un not router Mode.

Options
2020-10-12 21:26:45

@bwbboot I am using the X20 and the X20 system is the same.  I was using the Deco for a while in router mode but didn't like the interface on the mobile app.  It is lacking so many features.  I ended up setting it to Access Point mode so that I could use my existing router interface and disabled the wifi on my router.  

The point of my getting the X20 was to create the mesh network and get rid of the dead spots which it absolutely did, and I'm happy for that.  

I also experimented prior to putting it into AP mode and used my existing router while keeping the deco in 'router' mode.  It still worked but I essentially created a double NAT setup (one from my main router and the other from the Deco) as you guys describe in the thread.  This prevented some devices from communicating with others of course.  If we had the option to disable the DHCP/NAT options on the Deco when in router mode, that would be great.

Only CON to putting it into AP mode is no Antivirus, Qos and Parental Control options.  Albeit my router can provide the Qos and Parental control stuff (the Antivirus is cool but the trade off of keeping my existing router control was totally worth it).

My setup:

ISP --> Modem (disabled router funtionality in ISP provided modem) --> TPLink Router Archer C7 (DHCP server enabled) --> Cisco SG-300-10 Switch (vlan control if I wish) --> TPLink Deco X20 (AP mode)

Options
2020-11-12 01:14:31

@bwbboot 

I would like to have this functionality too. Issue is that I have a AT&t gateway in the basement that is already running DHCP. If I run DHCP on both deco and AT&t gateway then Deco is not able to use ethernet backhaul. And to use wireless backhaul one of them is too far away. So I tried to disable the DHCP on the AT&t gateway, but then then nothing would work. So I enabled the DHCP back on the AT&t gateway and set deco to access point mode. Now everything works on Deco using ethernet which is good. However, the main reason I got deco is to use parental control which is now unavailable in access point mode. Please provide a fix for this issue.

Options
2020-11-12 18:02:36

@n00pster 

I worked around this by using static IP on the primary deco and then disabled the DHCP on the AT&t gateway.

Options
2021-01-19 12:07:03

@bwbboot please add function to disable the dhcp server . i bought M5 and i need that ASAP . as you can see lots of ppl need this fucntion please take this seriously 

Options
2021-02-10 16:41:32

Frustrating! Do we have to wait another year?

Options
2021-04-20 23:41:08

@Kevin_Z Please can you remind your R&D about this simple amendment - I can only assume you have no R&D??

Options
2021-04-30 08:30:37

@Kevin_Z by when will this functionality be added?

atleast have the option add static routes. 

Options
[Feature Request]Ability to disable DHCP in router mode--not accepted yet-Solution
2021-04-30 10:28:51 - last edited 2022-08-22 06:31:09

@krazy

Hi, it is planned to add DHCP on/off button on the Access Point on the firmware 1.6.0; but no plan on the wireless router mode yet;

As for the static routes, I am afraid there is still no updated news yet;

For more details, please refer to this link:Smart DHCP on/off option under Access Point mode

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles