Deco M5 slow internet speed (LAN)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-02 17:26:55 - last edited 2019-06-02 21:27:53
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.8

Deco M5 v2

Latest Firmware 1.2.8

Malaysia TM Unifi VLAN500

My ISP give me 800mbps/200mbps speed, all my current routers(Netgear R7800/Linksys EA8500/Asus RT-AC86U/GT-AC5300, some cheap OpenWRT routers) have no problem to reach 840mbps+/230mbps+, this Deco M5 can barely reach full speed, and very inconsistent, sometimes it does 830mbps, most of the time it does 400mbps+/500mbps+/600mbps+/700mbps+, depends on luck, and even if it does reach full speed, it takes about few seconds to reach the max speed, like climbing hill, unlike others reach the full speed within a second. My ISP speed is very stable, no matter what time, peak or non-peak hour it provide the same speed at all, I never see any change of speed from my past 2 years experience, so I'm pretty sure it's the Deco M5 problem. This is so wierd since it's IPQ4018/IPQ4019 based, shouldn't have any problem to reach full speed, I did try some routers who using the same chipset too, non of them have speed issue, I'm wonder what TP-Link did to this powerful chipset, or maybe it doesn't have those offload engine or just leave it off.

All the speed tests I did is on PC with LAN connects to the M5 directly, apps gave me the same results too.

I only use 1 Deco unit to run as router for the speed testing, no other Decos attached.

Changed few LAN cables during the test, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7...... u name it, more than 10 cables tested.

Sure I did wait for 10 mintues after reboot the router before speed test, to avoid any extra activity on the unit for finishing boot up.

No QoS for sure.

No Anti-Virus activated.

No Parents control activated.

Change back to my USD $16 YouHua WR1200JS(OpenWRT) and everything back to normal(839mbps/230mbps).

PS. Even if I reset it and set it to AP mode, the 5GHz speed still behind what Deco M4 offer, M4 have better coverage and speed in 5GHz, thanks to QCA9886 chipset

Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco M5 slow internet speed (LAN)
2019-06-03 07:32:55

Could you please show us the screenshots of the speed tests on the Deco App? To do a comparison analysis, please test the speed on the other Deco M5 to see how it works. 
Note: Please follow the below instruction to check the wired link speed of your computer. https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2265.html  

Please kindly provide the network topology in your house, please draw a picture which shows all the network devices and how you connect them. 

And may I know who is your internet service provider?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Deco M5 slow internet speed (LAN)
2019-06-03 09:22:35

My ISP is Malaysia TM Unifi, they using VLAN 500

My network is fibre>gpon modem>Deco M5

Both Deco M5 perform same result

I only use 1 unit for testing each time, set as router

All tests was done by modem>M5>PC LAN 

Kevin_Z wrote

Could you please show us the screenshots of the speed tests on the Deco App? To do a comparison analysis, please test the speed on the other Deco M5 to see how it works. 
Note: Please follow the below instruction to check the wired link speed of your computer. https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2265.html  

Please kindly provide the network topology in your house, please draw a picture which shows all the network devices and how you connect them. 

And may I know who is your internet service provider?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M5 slow internet speed (LAN)
2019-06-03 14:21:42

The link which u sent me on reply is for Wi-Fi speed, I’m not using Wi-Fi to test, I use LAN cable.

Options
2019-06-04 06:46:35

Hi 

To do further troubleshooting and help you to fix this problem, we will follow up via email later. 

And I have emailed you already, please reply our email and then we can try to sort it out.

Good day. 

Options
2019-06-04 18:09:44 - last edited 2019-06-04 18:11:49

I found that even if I set it to AP mode and plug my PC Lan to it, it still struggle to get full speed, like climbing hill, slowly goes from 300mbps up to 600mbps+, omg......... If I unplug the cable and plug it to my ISP router, I will get full speed of 830mbps within a second, I think it's something went very wrong with this Deco M5.

AP mode have nothing to do with NAT and so, just pure LAN forward like most network switches do, no wireless involve, pure LAN to LAN forward, just a forward job and it failed, what!!???

Come on, TP-Link.......

Options
2019-06-09 01:28:54

Hi,

We found that our engineer is following up your case now; please check your inbox and we can do further troubleshooting to fix it. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-02-18 12:02:06

@Kevin_Z 

I have the same issue. I get 1000/100 from both my ISP, in the set up below I have issues with speed and timeouts never getting near 1000, but if I remove the Linksys and plug 1 ISP direct into Main Deco M5 I get 900+ speeds. So I figure that the issue is with the Linksys somehow.

ISP x 2 ---- Linksys Dual WAN load balance ---- Main Deco M5 ----- TP-Link Gigabit Switch ------ Slave Deco M5 x 6units all eternet connected Cat6

any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Options
2020-03-12 11:19:01

Is this problem resolved? I’m having same problem. My deco m5 configured as AP connect to my router using LAN. Can only reach max speed 100Mbps on the speed test! My ISP plan is 500Mbps, I can reach the max speed when I connect to the same LAN cable to my laptop.

Options
2020-04-24 08:46:04

@heidarren 

Why does everyone has the same problem with the routers, I have 1000 if i connect to my modem, when putting the Archer C5400 between the isp and my computer I get only 240Mbps max, and my wifi sucks to

Come one TP LINK, whats the problem !!!!frown

Options
2020-05-31 17:34:42

@Jay212 I have exactly the same problem. Come on, should I order for a warranty? this is incredible. 

I have 150 if i connect to my modem, when putting the AC1200 I have between the isp and my computer(via wifi or via ethernet) I get only 50max. So what is the problem? this is inadmisible. I want to know if I go to ask for a warranty now or what. thank

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5751

Replies: 11

Related Articles