Deco M5 guest wifi isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 guest wifi isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:Deco M5 guest wifi isolation
2020-10-28 11:55:28
That's good point. Thinking logically, how could Guest Network will be isolated from Main Network in AP mode, if it is the modem/router to which Main Deco is connected that manages the network? Guest and Main connected devices communicate with each other through modem/router, Deco can't do anything about it.
Options
2020-12-19 16:28:12
I suppose I could shine a light on this topic, it's truely not possible, but there are some simple firewall rules that could apply that can separate majority of the traffic. Ideally, the best way is to you VLAN, that if your Router support it as well, but then we start going into the marketing difference between the home and business model. Not to mention the headache of tech support having to deal w/ customers and their non TP-Link router, which I don't think TP-Link or any sane company want to take the action of free support for all the 3rd party devices. The next best thing which many have done, at least w/ custom firmware (whether that be DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT and etc) is to have Guest Network a separate Network IPs. IE: The main network is 192.168.1.0/24 and the guest network is 192.168.100.0/24. Then there is a firewall rule that block all the traffic to/from the guest network (192.168.100.0/24) from connecting to any reserved private address other than its own and let all other traffic through. Of course the WAP could have two isolation options, one is to only separate the guest network from the main network, the other is to separate the guest device from all other devices in both guest network and main network and only allow that guest device to connect to internet only. I was planning to buy either X60 or the X5700, just waiting for deals to pop up, but after seeing this, I may not want to now. Although I have another solution is to keep the older AC access point around for older gears and guest devices.
Options
2020-12-21 11:45:33 - last edited 2020-12-21 11:47:17

@TechUnsupport 

Since the TP-Link is already capable of acting as a router it would make sense that it acts as a router (but only) for the guest network. Routing requests outside of the local subnet range to the gateway, and blocking traffic that is destined for the local/protected subnet. Depending on the setup of the software it would (even) allow for an entirely different IP range.

But anyway I repeat; If the separation is not functional in AP mode, then the switch that says "isolate" should not be there in AP mode.

Options
2020-12-21 13:01:37

@AdrianHi Some people still seem to be doubting that the M5 can now do guest network isolation in AP mode, at least in the right circumstances.

Here is my set up:

A NAS plus a few other devices are connected via wire to my non-TP-Link router modem that has its built-in Wifi disabled. A printer is connected to the TP-Link main Wifi network.

If I connect my laptop to the main wifi network, I can connect to all of these services. If I connect the laptop to my guest wifi, network it cannot reach any of these services, only the internet.

Options
2020-12-21 13:46:22

@AdrianHi You are actually right!

For me it only started working now with the nov 2020 update (1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804).

All updates before (also where it was announced), I had checked and it did not work.

So glad that this feature is here now and working!

Great job of TP-Link to update and support this hardware still.

Options
2020-12-24 18:00:26

@AdrianHi Thank you for the good news! Just to double-confirm, in your setup your Deco is in AP mode, right? A question for you then - do you see that "Guest network isolation in AP mode" switch in your Settings? Or it just works now the way it should, without any new switch in UI? 

Options
2020-12-25 03:36:30

@SlavaS 

Hi,

As for the Deco M5, the guest network isolation in AP mode is supported since firmware 1.4.0 and above.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-12-26 15:04:24

@SlavaS 

Yes AP mode and I do see a switch to choose to isolate the guest network.

Options
2021-04-07 11:35:22

@AdrianHi 

I have 3 M5 units in router mode but my guest network is NOT isolated from the main network, I don't have the option to isolate the guest network. If put the unit in AP mode the guest network doesn't have an internet connection at all and is still not isolated from the internal network while there is a switch. All devices are getting a ip adres in the same range, main or guest WiFi. 

Am I doing something wrong?

Options
2021-04-07 11:46:57

@Machielj 

If the M5 units are set and working in router mode, then they are providing the routing function for your internet connection. If you then switch to AP mode, what device on your network is providing the routing function because it will not be the M5? Unless you have another router or router/modem providing the routing function with the Deco in AP mode, you will not get an internet connection as you have found.

I still use my router + modem for the routing function and have wifi disabled on it so only the Deco's provide the wifi services.

The real question is why you are not seeing the option to have a guest network when the M5 is in router mode. Unfortunately, I've not worked with my Deco's in this mode so I don't remember what the menu options look like in this mode.

Options
Related Articles