WR902AC Bridge mode over ethernet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-15 02:25:37
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I need to connect this unit to an ethernet cable (from a wifi router) and use bridge mode to then extend the wifi network into another room.

Is this possible?

So..

1. I have a wifi router connected to the internet with ethernet access, and a cat5 connected going to another office.
  2. I would like to connect the cat5 to the WR902AC and then bridge it to the router, and have it act as a DHCP wireless point for devices in that office (extend the network).
  3. So far I haven't been able to achieve this and the instructions only mention using it to deliver internet in the other direction (receiving wifi and enabling non wireless devices to receive the wifi signal over ethernet).

Or, should I take it back and purchase some other device?

Options
3 Reply
Re:WR902AC Bridge mode over ethernet
2019-06-15 06:31:34

I'm going to answer this myself...

The unit doesn't allow bridge mode (the supplied instructions are vague, and don't even cover the 2 additional connection modes provided - just 'ap ring')

The unit takes too long to connect to - despite being right next to my computer and the SSID showing full strength.

As a wifi extender, it just doesn't work - I could connect to it, but for some reason it didn't allow images to download. Weird. It had line of sight to the wifi router it was extending, and had a very strong reception, but didn't have any better range (it slowed the existing access, rather than extending it).

Maybe the unit I bought is a dud. 

You get what you pay for.

Options
Re:Re:WR902AC Bridge mode over ethernet
2019-06-17 05:59:00

Hi,

The 902AC supports several operation modes, including regular router mode, range extender, client mode and access point.

It can be connected to the main router by wired cable or wireless to extend the wifi range. 

Back to your case, what is the current operation mode of the 902AC? And what is the network topology? 

For the wifi range/strength issue, we can do further analysis.

1. The distance between the 902AC and the main router.

2. Next to the 902AC, can you get a good wifi signal from the main router?

3. Have you ever changed the wireless settings of the 902AC? 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:WR902AC Bridge mode over ethernet
2019-06-17 06:08:34 - last edited 2019-06-17 06:10:21

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The topology I am wanting to extend (as referenced in my original post):

Netgear Wifi Router as main ADSL access point.

LAN (from netgear) ethernet -> WR902AC with unit set as access point, and mode in ap ring.

Multiple devices then accessing internet using WR902AC wifi in bridge mode to netgear router. 

There is no instruction specifically for this scenario, and I can't get it to work.

I don't really want to use it as a wifi range extender - as I have cat5 cable available to extend the network into this office (and that would provide a stronger signal).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5320

Replies: 3

Related Articles