Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?

2019-06-15 15:23:04 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:52

It seems the M5 uses a wide 40MHz channel in 2.4Ghz mode instead of the recommended 20MHz. How can we change that?

Also would be nice if we could to change the wifi channels in advanced settings. Will this be added to a new FW soon?

Info: https://support.apple.com/bg-bg/HT202068

2.4GHz channel width

Channel width controls how large of a "pipe" 'is available to transfer data. However, larger channels are more subject to interference and more likely to interfere with other devices. A 40MHz channel is sometimes called a wide channel, and a 20MHz channel is a narrow channel.

Set to: 20MHz

Use 20MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band. Using 40MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band can cause performance and reliability issues with your network, especially in the presence of other Wi-Fi networks and other 2.4GHz devices. A 40MHz channel might also cause interference and issues with other devices that use this band, such as Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, and neighboring Wi-Fi networks. Routers that don't support 40MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band do support 20MHz channels.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Re:Re:Re:Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?-Solution
2020-07-16 06:07:11 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Hello all,

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
44 Reply
Re:Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?
2019-06-17 02:23:59 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Hi,

There is no option to change the channel and channel width manually for Deco, to get better performance, the Deco will choose the clear channel automatically.

For your information, it is planned to add this feature into Deco products, you can keep an eye on our official website to get more details. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-06-17 05:14:35 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Thanks, good to hear this option will be added.

I hope to see a new FW soon!

Options
Re:Re:Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?
2019-06-18 07:38:53 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Sure, please keep an eye on our official website or Deco app, any updates, we will post there. 

Meanwhile, I have  to say, it will take some time to release it. So please wait a while patiently. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?
2019-06-18 16:35:12 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51
Thanks! I understand you can't give an ETA, but are we talking days or weeks? :)
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?
2019-06-19 01:17:11 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Hard to say that; it could be weeks or months. 

What we can tell you is that please keep an eye on official website or Deco app to get the updates. 

Good day. 

Options
2020-07-12 10:47:09 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

@Kevin_Z 

Has the option been implemented yet? I can't find it in the settings?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Option to change 2.4GHz channel + width (20/40MHz)?-Solution
2020-07-16 06:07:11 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Hello all,

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

I will try to explain why we don't give the Deco administrator the permission to manually choose a channel on the current Deco system, which may not precise but I will try my best:

Firstly, we need to clarify that the wireless channels on the current Deco firmware are not manually configurable as Deco automatically selects a 2.4GHz channel to use based on what it sees around it, selecting the channel that has the least interference. The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable.

Secondly, we need to reiterate what is the point of having a whole mesh Wi-Fi system in your network. The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered, and performant experience for wireless networking, and thus a mesh network is "self-configuring" and "self-healing", the network automatically incorporates a new node into the existing structure without needing any adjustments manually by a network administrator and it automatically finds the fastest and most reliable paths to send data. If you change the wireless channel on the Deco nodes manually, it may give you the risk of losing the other Deco nodes and thus ruin your Deco system, you may need to start over again to reconfigure them.

What's more, it is not always easy to choose a clear wireless channel in your networks, you may need to test with all of them in order to find one that may be usable. Most importantly, crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is busy, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference. 

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-10-17 16:44:53 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

I try to connect my 5GHz WIFI wireless network (Deco M5 ) with my Sony PS4. The Sony PS4 Don't see the 5GHz WIFI wireless network at all. I researched the topic online and found in the Sony PS4 forum That PS4 can Connect to 5GHz channel only with 20MHz width. Note - when both 5GHz & 2.4GHz open in the Deco App, Sony PS4 don't see Any wireless network, (Not the  5GHz nor the 2.4GHz). Since it is not possible to manage the channels and configure the 5GHz channel to 20MHz width, I had to disconnect the 5GHz channel in the Deco App and use the 2.4GHz Channel. The speed is significantly lower which causes lags in online games. It is a bad that such a quality product does not have the ability to manage the Channels width. I would appreciate it if you would post an update to this issue as soon as possible.

Also, you wrote "The 5GHz channel appears to be configured based on the region the device was manufactured for use in and they are apparently not auto-selected and are definitely not manually configurable."
I bought this Deco M5 in AMAZON USA, and i live in Israel,  So how does it work out with "...configured based on the region the device was manufactured..."?

Options
2020-11-05 12:45:18 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

Hey, all:

Just to note: the Deco's (probably as decided by the "Main" unit) may choose different channels after a reboot.

I just observed that.

Yes, it would be nice to have a selected set of channels for it to "initially choose from" for those cases where one has devices with restricted channels.  If the "signal environment" has changed significantly, one could try rebooting the mesh to see if it finds 'better' channels.

Options
2020-12-02 14:23:09 - last edited 2023-08-11 08:32:51

@Jeehaa I also need the ability to select a channel for some IOT lights. They will only connect on channel 11 and it cannot connect until I have the ability to set the channel.

Options

Information

Helpful: 20

Views: 36946

Replies: 45

Related Articles