Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-19 16:40:50 - last edited 2019-06-19 16:51:56
Model: TL-WR841N  
Hardware Version: V14
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.16 v0001.0 Build 180319 Rel.57291n

Hello Guys,

I have 100 Mbps Ethernet internet facility in my home. So, I have recently bought TL-WR841N 300 Mbps WIFI router to convert Ethernet internet into WIFI. All setup is done as default.

Then, connected my Laptop (Macbook Pro - OS Mojave) to the WIFI and tested the internet speed with OKLA speedtest and fast.com, on multiple tests, speed came up around 86 Mbps which is good, I am happy.

Then, I connected my mobile (OnePlus 6 - Android Pie) to the WIFI and tested the internet speed, results are coming up around 45 Mbps only. I checked, there was no background apps eating the speed. Tried many times, results keep on coming around 45 Mbps only.

Can you kindly help/guide in resolving this issue. Let me know if you need any particular details.

Wireless 2.4GHz

Operation Mode:Router

Wireless Radio:Enabled

Name(SSID):depi-home

Mode:11bgn mixed

Channel:Auto(Channel 10)

Channel Width:Auto

MAC Address:xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 17:16:43
Hello, I believe it happens because of limit from the mobile phone radio. Is it possible to do this test using other mobile phone? I guess you will get other result, totally different. In fact, it happens with me at home... when I test my link speed with my Macbook Pro I get a result then I test with my iPhone XS Max and I get other result. I hope I had help you. Regards!
Options
Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 17:26:07
Hi Roni, Since you have Macbook Pro, I will tell you what another I did. On seeing these varying results, I connected my 100 Mbps Ethernet directly to Mac via Ethernet to Type-C adapter. Then, turned ON internet sharing in Mac via WIFI (which is basically acts like hotspot). Then, connected my mobile to this Mac hotspot WIFI and tested the speed - i got 80 Mbps, surprised. So, is it my TP-LINK router to my mobile is the issue? I didn't try with another mobile, let me try and post the reply.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 17:33:58
Hi Dephin, I got it... It does take us think there is an issue between TP-Link router and your mobile phone. Let me ask you: Could you do the test again with you mobile phone but before start the test take out your Mac from the wifi. In this case there would be only your mobile phone on the wifi, right? Cheers!
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 18:59:01 - last edited 2019-06-19 18:59:54

Hi Roni,

Got another mobile for testing - Moto X Play.

With TP-LINK router:
Laptop: 86 Mbps
Oneplus mobile: 45 Mbps
Moto mobile: 46 Mbps

With Mac as hotspot:
Laptop: 92 Mbps (ethernet is directly connected)
Oneplus mobile: 80 Mbps
Moto mobile: 82 Mbps

During all these tests, only one device is connected to WIFI at an instant.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 19:24:55
Hi Dephin, Man it is so interesting, I have never seen something like that. Did you see if there is a firmware update for this router? Cheers!
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 19:29:18

Hi Roni,

Yes, checked the firmware at 1st phase of debugging, its already up-to-date 😅 The router is new. I have 7 days left to return it as per return policy, before that either I need to figure it out or return it. 😵

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 20:07:56
Dephin, Sorry, but I have no idea about what can be done to solve this issue. Cheers.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-19 20:11:29

No problem, Roni. Thank you for your time. I will check it out. If I find anything, will post it here. Cheers.

Options
Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-23 05:43:46

Hi,

FYI, compared to laptop, the wireless chipset of the mobile phone is not strong enough; usually the maximum wireless link speed is 72Mbps, which will affect the actual wireless speed, almost 60% of it. 

So back to your case, please check the wireless link speed on your mobile phone.

Besides, you can connect your laptop to the wifi to do a comparison anslysis.

How to check the wireless link speed, please refer to : https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Note: Right click on wifi or wireless connection, not the local area connection or the ethernet connection. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Help please !! Internet speed varies on Laptop & Mobile
2019-06-25 15:43:12

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for replying.

As you requested, here's the link speed details

When connected to TPLINK router:

Mac - 195 Mbit/s

Oneplus - 72 Mbps

Moto - 72 Mbps

When Oneplus / Moto is connected to Mac hotspot wifi - 144 Mbps

When Oneplus / Moto is connected to my office wifi - 866mbps

I don't think that this is related to mobile chipset, its fine, I think. Kindly provide your in-sight or any troubleshooting idea if any.

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1832

Replies: 14