HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-23 12:01:54 - last edited 2019-06-24 17:34:21
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.5

One of my HS100 plug keeps "forgetting" the WiFi network. At a random moment it forgets the network and start blinking orange and green, which means I have to go through the setup again.

When it happens it switches off the load (if it was on) and the led goes solid orange for a short while before it start alternating orange and green. In some cases it will only "reboot" but keep the load off afterwards.

It is not a problem with the load that I have connected to it, because I have also had it fail without anything connected to it.

The other two HS100 plugs that I have are working without a problem.

Options
9 Reply
Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-06-25 02:38:20

Hi,

That is a little weird, have you ever tried to hard reset it by holding the settings button for 10s? 

And when and where did you buy this plug? 

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-06-28 16:18:02 - last edited 2019-06-28 16:21:08

Model: HS100

Hardware Version: V 2.0

Firmware Version: latest (kasa show no fw update available)

WiFi Router: TP-Link TD- W9980

I have the exact same problem, it has been working for a year and suddenly I have disconnects to solid orange light. I have two more of the same HS100 same version, and they work fine even on the same power plug the one having the problems was. It behaves the same with or without anything connected on it. The router is located in the next room, 4 meters away so wifi signal strength isn't the issue here.

It doesn't stay connected for more than one day, tried reseting it (hard reset pressing the button for 15 seconds) but the problem persists. I'm calling the service and requesting a replacement on Monday.

Options
Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-01 08:31:00

Hi,

What is the current firmware version?

What is the wifi signal strength which you can find it on the device info page?

Cause the other 2 plugs work properly, you can exchange their locations to do a comparison test.

Besides, you can setup a static IP for this plug on the web interface of the 9980 via DHCP address reservation to give it a shot.

Instruction as below: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/754/

And may I know when and where did you buy this plug? 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-01 11:36:33 - last edited 2019-07-01 11:44:05

Hi,

Hardware version: 1.0 (thats weird because the label on the back of the plug says v2.0)

Firmware version: 1.2.5

WiFi Network: -73 dBm

I already said that I did switch places of the problematic plug with the others and both work just fine, no disconnections.

I also placed the one having the problem very close to my router with absolutely nothing between them (like walls) and the problem persisted.

This plug was working just fine for a year and more. The problem appeared the last couple of months. I'm begining to suspect the chinese capacitors (Lelon brand) within the device, that i saw on opened HS100 plugs on the net. They may have gone bad with use.

I bought the device on January 2018 and it was plugged in the whole time since then and working fine until recently. I dont see a reason why I should assign a static ip now since it was working without one in the recent past.

Bought it in Athens Greece.

Good day.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-03 07:58:59

Hi,

Assign a static IP address is to ensure that the plug can get a valid IP address from the main router, which is a troubleshooting method. 

While if you do not want to do so and other plugs work properly in the same power plug, you can contact the retailer to check the warranty.

Nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-04 07:37:36 - last edited 2019-07-04 07:47:11

Already contacted them and sent the plug yesterday.

Not very otimistic though, speaking from experience service people are moslty idiots.

They try the device and if they can't reproduce the problem within an hour, they sent it back to you saying the device works fine.

If that happens I'm opening it up and replacing the electrolytic capacitors myself. I expected TP-Link would use better cap brands than Lelon for devices that are supposed to be operational 24/7.

Cutting pennies in cost for those things cost a company a lot more down the road.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-05 02:38:41

I see, thanks for your reply.

As the warranty policy, they need take responsible for it. 

You can wait for their feedback. Any updates, you can let us know. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-10 14:44:06 - last edited 2019-07-10 14:44:39

Thankfully my HS100 was replaced fairly quickly under warranty by the service, with a brand new one and of later version (v3.1 Hardware version 2).

No problems, the new one works as it should be.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:HS100 keeps forgetting WiFi
2019-07-10 17:24:31

@gtsamour 

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear that you got it replaced and the new plug works as it should be . 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1161

Replies: 9