Extending my network into a log cabin

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-26 10:48:44

I wonder if you could help me with something.

I'm going to be purchasing an insulated log cabin for my garden that I'm going to be using as an office so I'll need internet in there. Currently I've got some TP-Link AV500 homeplugs dotted around the house to get network into the lounge and the bedroom so I was considering buying another couple so that I can alter my existing configuration whilst providing network access in the cabin.

My question is this, currently I have the electric extended from the main consumer unit in the house out to the garage and it's likely the electrician will install some armoured cable from the garage to the cabin to extend the electric further. If I buy some homeplugs for install in the cabin is this going to work as it's all connected back to the main consumer unit or am I going to have issues?

Any advice would be greatly received

Options
5 Reply
Re:Extending my network into a log cabin
2019-06-27 02:32:30

Hi,

For your information, it is suggested to use the powerline adapters under the same consumer unit/ power circuit to ensure its performance. 

After you bought the cabin, you can test whether you can access internet with the existing AV500 units with one connected to the main router, and the other one located in the cabin. 

If it work, you can buy another couples to provide internet. Otherwise, you can consider the range extender, which will connect to the existing network by wireless to extend the wifi range. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Extending my network into a log cabin
2019-07-15 16:30:21

Thanks Kevin for the reply.

I tried one of my existing plugs in my garage and that works fine so all being well it should be ok.

Quick question on the physical product then, I'm looking at buying the TL-WPA4220KIT the wireless plug that comes with this does it get it's internet connection from the powerline? or the existing WiFi? just where it is it may not grab the existing WiFi

Options
Re:Re:Re:Extending my network into a log cabin
2019-07-16 11:28:11

@mjwndave 

The TL-WPA4220 kit supports wifi function, with main adapter connected to the router by wired cable, the extender unit can access internet once they are paired.

The extender unit will broadcast its own wifi network and your devices can connect to it to get internet. It is isolated from the main router's wifi, they are different. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Extending my network into a log cabin
2019-07-16 13:29:37
Awesome! thanks Kevin, I'll be picking that kit up soon then
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Extending my network into a log cabin
2019-07-17 01:29:08

@mjwndave 

You are welcome, thanks for your support too. 

Any further problem, just let us know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1403

Replies: 5