Router does not honor WiFi channel selection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-07 14:55:00
Model: Archer MR200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.9.1.1.2

Even if I set the router to operate on i.e. WiFi channel 6, the router regularly reverts to highest available channel. This is unacceptable since it creates an incompatibility issue in Europe with US and Japanese equipment which are not designed to operate on the higher wifi channels used in Europe. Either TP should issue a Firmware fix or I have to scrap the router and buy something else. I don't dare to buy any other TP products either if such basic functionality does not work. Or, is there some magic trick to force a wifi channel selection to stay put and survive restarts, power outages etc.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-08 05:52:42

@LaBa 

We have not received such feedback yet, and we can do some troubleshooting to fix it. 

1.  Please login to the web interface and go to advanced/wireless settings page to change the wireless channel, after that, please click save or reboot to apply the settings. 

2. After that, please check whether it reverts to highest available channel again; if so, please shot a short video of it and send to us. 

3. Please ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-08 09:37:00
The advaced settings show that WiFi ch 6 is selected but the router operates on ch 13 or 14. I have selected ch6 and saved the channel setting several times. I may work for some time but then suddenly the router has reverted to a high channel. Take a video of what??? I have seen other simiöar posts on the forum as well. A fix is needed.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-09 07:10:18

@LaBa 

When and where did you buy this MR200?

Please ensure that the firmware is up to date. 

Meanwhile, how do you know that the wifi is running with channel 13 or 14? Do you use any 3rd party programme to confirm its channel? If so, please show us a screenshot of it. 

To do further analysis, please login to the web page and take a picture of the wireless settings page where we can see channel as well at that point. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-22 14:45:58

Sorry for delayd reply due to travel.

Router bought in Sweden (where I also use it) in June 2017

Firmware is the latest I can find to download (see attached screenshot)

Wireless settings shown on attached screenshot.

To see WiFi channel I use WiFi Analyzer on a Samsung Galaxy S8. Two screenshots attched - one showing operation of ch 4 the other on ch 13.

I did som further experimatation. If I switch off the router and switch on again WiFi analyzer shows that the router actually starts at the selected ch 6. BUT - after 5-10 seconds the router suddenly jumps to another channel. This morning it started on ch 6 for a few seconds then jumped to ch 4! Doing the same manouver again it started att ch 6 for a few secons and then jumped to ch 13.

I have not had problems before with this behaviour as all connected clients have been able to follow whatever ch the router jumps to. However, I have installed a Daikin Air Conditioner with WiFi remote control. The built in WiFi unit cannot opertate on the European "high channels 12-14". Therefore it is important that the MR200 actually stays at the preselected fixed WiFi channel ch 6 (or below ch10) and does not jump arbitrarily to something else. It works fine below ch 10 but above that WiFi connectivity is lost.   

Kind regards, LaBa

Kevin_Z wrote

@LaBa 

Meanwhile, how do you know that the wifi is running with channel 13 or 14? Do you use any 3rd party programme to confirm its channel? If so, please show us a screenshot of it. 

To do further analysis, please login to the web page and take a picture of the wireless settings page where we can see channel as well at that point. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kevin_Z wrote

@LaBa 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-24 06:14:53 - last edited 2019-07-24 06:39:41

@LaBa 

It is the Channel avoidance mechanism which causes this issue.

Cause the LTE/3/4G uses the same wifi channel as the TP-Link wifi, to avoid conflict between each other, the wifi channel will change to another one automatically.

Sorry to tell you that there is not much we can do now, you can try to fix the channle to another 1, like channel 1 or 11 to give it  a go. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-24 11:08:14

I'm a bit confused by your reply. The WiFi analyzer app is basically a simple spectrum analyzer. I can se my own WiFi carrier but no other carriers that could cause the channel avoidance mechanism to activate. A further question is why there is a possibility to preselect a WiFI channel when this does not work. I have other routers at other locations which work well even if there are 4 different MNOs in the area with good field strength. There should be an override option in TP Link S/W to disable the channel avoindance mechanism. However, I'll try some other chnnels to see if this may work better.

I also saw a suggestion to change ch bw to 20 MHz. This did not work. Preselected ch is still 6. The router starts on ch 4!!

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-07-26 16:37:30

I’m even more confused and disappointed by the MR200 S/W. Actually, there are some other WIFi networks in the neighbourhood – perhaps some 200 meters away. It seems that the MR200 can detect rather weak carriers and turns on the channel avoidance mechanism. Whatever WiFi channel I’m preselecting the MR200 comes up with some arbitrary other channel. The WiFi channel selection in the advanced wireless settings has absolutely no meaning. How does TP link expect the MR 200 to function in an urban environment where virtually all channels are used not only by one but several adjacent WiFi systems?

Please make a S/W fix that locks the channel selection if it is activated. The channel avoidance feature should only be enabled in Auto mode.

If there is no solution my MR 200 will have to go to the junkyard – I’m terribly sorry about this but the 4G modem does not do what I set it to do.

And,  I don't think the 4G networks use the WiFi band. I can see no allocation for this in the general ITU radio regulations.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Router does not honor WiFi channel selection
2019-08-12 13:49:31

I have the exact same problem with my MR200 V1. I have tried all 3 avaliable firmware versions, and have tried both 3G/4G router mode and wireless router mode. The channel still switches automaticly. Therfore i have a hard time beleiving that the behaviour of the MR200 is caused by 4G channel aviodance.

Moba

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1223

Replies: 8