My router is slower for ethernet than WiFi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-08 10:07:39 - last edited 2019-07-09 07:44:36
Model: Archer VR900v  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I bought the Archer VR900 out of frustration with routers supplied by my ISPs. However I have noticed my main work PC, which is plugged into the back via cat6e ethernet, is consistently getting slower and laggier internet speed test results than WiFi-connected devices like my phone. In fact if I switch the PC (A 2012 Mac Mini) to Wifi, I get better results.

Now it may well be my Wifi is fast enough not to be a limiting factor in internet speed as I only get ~30/10 Mbit on my ISP anyway, BUT surely a wired connection should a)take precedence b)be at least AS fast as WiFi. 

I've tried swapping cables and so on with no benefit.

As an example right now I get a reported internet speed of 11/6 Mbit over 1Gbit ethernet connection. WiFi reports 26/6 when I switch to WiFi connection on the same machine and re-run the test, with a connection rated at 450Mbit. That's a crazy difference. Can the router really be this bad, or what else could be wrong?

I just plugged an old Windows PC into the router also on ethernet and this gave a similarly bad result.

With the Mac on ethernet, I used iPerf3 to test connection over the network to my phone (WiFi obviously) and get results in the 100-200Mbit range consistently. So the ethernet cable and Mac are certainly cable of half-decent speed which again makes me think the router itself is at issue here.

I'm not an expert in network admin by any means but I am reasonably technically minded. I'd appreciate any help. I put a fair amount of time and money wiring my home office with Cat6 so it's most frustrating I am struggling to access the internet!

Options
3 Reply
Re:My router is slower for ethernet than WiFi
2019-07-09 07:51:36

@MisterBoy 

We will do some troubleshooting and try to fix it. 

1. Who is your internet service provider? And what is the bandwidth you paid? 

2. With computer connected to the VR900 directly, please run speed test for 3 times and show us the results; besides, please check the wired negotiation speed as the following instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/ (Click ethernet connection or local area connection instead)

3. Please check the wireless speed and wireless negotiation speed as well. 

4. Then please login to the web UI of the VR900 and take a full snapshot of the advanced-status page and send it to us. 

Below is a guidance you can follow to troubleshoot as well. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2235/

Options
Re:My router is slower for ethernet than WiFi
2019-07-13 12:09:42
I have seen others having ethernet speed issue with other vendor's routers using the 2012 Mini. Google it. I assume you have checked the preferences/network/ethernet/advanced/hardware settings. Try unplugging all the ethernet cables except the mini, power cycle modem/router/mini, wait a bit, and test. Add the other ethernet devices and test. Any changes?
Options
Re:Re:My router is slower for ethernet than WiFi
2019-07-15 10:16:24

@ArcherC8 that's interesting, so you're suggesting the Mac itself might have issues? I did see in an earlier test that it had set itself to a 100Mbit connection, and rebooting switched to gigabit as it should be.

That said, given I can get 100Mbit between my Mac and my phone clearly the router is capable of that speed over the ethernet link (at least). I'll make a note to run the trouble-shooter steps as requested too.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4878

Replies: 3

Related Articles