New Deco M5 System

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

New Deco M5 System

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
New Deco M5 System
New Deco M5 System
2019-07-09 19:22:10 - last edited 2019-07-09 19:23:20
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Set up my new Deco M5 system today and it was a breeze. However, I notice that the Ip addresses on the network use the following 192.168.68.xxx. I have a number of devices which are hard wired to a network which are still connected to a modem/router and the addresses are 192.168.1.xxx. So wireless and wired devices seem to be on different subnets. Do i need to run the M5's as access points as opposed to a router?

Options
12 Reply
Re:New Deco M5 System
2019-07-09 19:47:54

just change your deco to use your 192.168.1.x network range instead (advanced settings, lan ip/dhcp)

Options
Re:Re:New Deco M5 System
2019-07-09 19:57:48

Thanks but got the message "LAP IP address and WAN IP address (192.168.1.2) cannot be in the same subnet. Please enter another"

Options
2019-07-09 20:43:42

why is your wan ip a private ip range?  that means you're double natting which isn't ideal.   can you change your ISP router to work as purely a modem so it passes its external ip address to deco?

otherwise, you'll just need to change the ip range of your router (not the deco) and then change the range of the 'lan' in the deco.  

or yes, just use it as a AP instead of a router.  

but you'll lose a lot of functionality such as the AV etc. 

Options
2019-07-09 20:45:45
The Wan ip is the Deco unit ??? Just disabled DHCP server on the router to see what happens. probably a restart of everything?
Options
Re:Re:Re:New Deco M5 System
2019-07-10 05:34:25 - last edited 2019-07-10 05:36:18

The WAN IP is the 'outside' of the Deco unit. the Deco is saying it can't have inside and outside have the same network number. As @thefunkygibbon said, the most likely reason for this is that your existing router (and I'm assuming you have one supplied by the ISP) is NATing from the real IP address that your ISP provides to an internal (192.168..) range.

The best option is to make the ISP kit work as a modem only and do all the NAT/routing work on the Deco. This requires all devices to be on the 'inside' ie:downstream of the Deco

Alternatively you can have the ISP router NAT to a different address range (for example 192.168.2.x) and let the Deco NAT back to 192.168.1.x so your hard wired devices on the inside are happy.

If you are mixing devices on the inside and outside (I'm not clear from your original post) of the Deco then the Deco must be in AP mode. Otherwise the firewall will block one from the other.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:New Deco M5 System
2019-07-10 06:15:58 - last edited 2019-07-10 06:40:11

Thanks so I then put the Isp router into bridging mode and connect all devices downstream off Deco? Can the second ethernet port on the Deco go to a switch? 

Finally do I need to set anything else on deco? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:New Deco M5 System
2019-07-10 13:00:39

mdfire wrote

Thanks so I then put the Isp router into bridging mode and connect all devices downstream off Deco? Can the second ethernet port on the Deco go to a switch? 

Finally do I need to set anything else on deco? 

Yes, that’s right.  And Yes,  the second port can go to a switch - I have my main Deco’s second port connected to a Dlink switch for a few wired devices, but people here have also used them to form a star topology with wired connections to their other Decos. 

You may need to set the WAN settings on the Deco to whatever the ISP router has now if ISP does not auto-assign.  Same goes for WAN VLAN if used by your kind of connection. 

Options
2019-07-10 15:19:42

@mdfire 

It seems that there are 2 router existed, just like modem--router--Deco M5; and the devices connected to the router are in a different subnet compared to the devices to the Deco M5.

To make them access each other, first, you can configure Deco M5 as access point, then the IP address of all the devices will be assigned by the router.

Or you can configure the existing modem router as bridge mode and configure the Deco M5 as main router, then you can connect all devices to the Deco to get internet and they can access each other. 

Meanwhile, you can enjoy the advanced features of Deco when they work as main router. https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2399/ 

Options
2019-07-10 19:51:39

OK so i connected the Deco directly from my Fibre to the House supppliers ONT which was on the wall. On set up the Deco installty recognised the internet type and gave me the option to set the correct VLAN Id which i did and got my green lift. Speed test through the app was 817.3Mbps down and 95.8 Mbps download. Perfect. On using the sped test app on the phone i tested again and i was getting speekds up to 500+ Mbps down and 90 mbps up load so really happy.

Added a few more devices and all going well.

Added two new more Decos and again no problems.

I also chnaged the LAN details to the same subnet to switch that connects all my wired devices and the connect the main ehternet cabtle to the switch upstairs (with it all switched off). Turn it on and devices all see to on same nextwork. Added a few more smaller switches (connected to the main)

App stopped/intermittentenly connectin to the deco saying it couldnt find it. Also internet access started droppin on a few occaissions. Does a network need tome time to settle down and sort out all the address? Otherwise the system is fananastic.

Further question; the main Deco is hard wired direct to the internet and my wifi speeds are 500+....when i move onto other Decos the speed drops to about 50Mbps. One of the Other Decos could be hard wired to the system wia ethernet or would this cause problems with network loop. or is the answer to get more deco 5 stations? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:New Deco M5 System
2019-07-11 11:21:28

Network should not need time to settle.  This is a small home network, and is not running large network rounting protocols, or spanning tree that would require convergence.  However I note in the release notes for the new firmware version “The new release has fixed the Wi-Fi dropout issue with the 1.2.8 version”. It’s not an issue I have experienced but does it sound like what you have?

The slave Decos can be wired to the master, either directly or via a switch, on the inside section of the network.  If it is distance that is slowing the traffic on the remote Decos, that will provide a boost.  Deco will manage the links automatically and will not create a loop.   Until the latest firmware you can’t tell if the cable is working however, which is (was) frustrating.  New firmware not available in my region yet, so all this is untried....

Options