Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-11 01:34:58
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: The latest version

I have set up Deco M4 in my home and the wifi signal cover all area in the house. My wired internet speed is around 1000Mbps, but maximum wifi internet speed is around 300 Mbps only. It seems that only 2.4 GHz wifi band is connected and limits the internet speed around 300 Mbps. Is there any method to manually switch to 5GHz band and turn off the 2.4 GHz band? I can't find any setting in the app that allow me to switch 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz.

Thank you.

Options
19 Reply
Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-12 02:51:39

@Alan062 

The option to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz will be added in next firmware, for now they use the same network name and cannot be isolated from each other. 

While we can do some troubleshooting regarding to the speed issue:

1. With computer connected to the Deco's wifi network only, please run speed test for 3 times and show us the results. 

2. Please check the wireless negotiation speed of your computer as the following instruction: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

3. Please turn off the slave Decos and connect the computer to the main Deco directly and test the wireless speed. 

4. Besides, please tell us the current network topology, how do you connect these devices together. 

Options
Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-12 14:19:36 - last edited 2019-07-26 17:03:29

For the question 1, below are the 3 speed test result:

Below are the speed test results after turning off the slave Decos:

Regarding the question 4, a cable from the modem provided by ISP connect to the Main Deco M4 and located at living room. Another Deco M4 is located at stud room.

All devices are connected by the wifi released by the Deco M4.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-15 02:14:25

@Alan062 

Thanks for your reply; from the pic attached, the wireless negotiation speed of your mac is 54Mbps only, it seems that it limits the actual speed you get. 

To narrow down and locate the issue, with your computer connected to the main Deco by wired cable, please check the speed you can get; And connect your computer to the modem directly by ethernet cable to test the speed. 

Besides, try to change another wireless device and connect it to the Deco's wifi and test the actual speed and wireless negotiation speed. 

Do you have other router/old router can be used to do a comparison analysis? If possible, please connect it to the modem and check the wired/wireless speed you can get from it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-15 04:35:37

Thanks for your reply. As my Macbook pro is 2018 version which wired connection is not allowed, only wifi connection is available. I don't have other computer, so I cannot test the wired connection speed. However, ISP technician  proved the connection speed is 900-1000 Mbps by connecting his notebook to the modem through wired connection.

I did the speed test a several times in my iPhone, iPad and also PS4, all these devices showed that the maximum speed is around 300 Mbps only.

I do not have other router that can be used to do a comparison analysis.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-16 08:35:38

@Alan062 

Thanks for your reply Alan.

Please clear the QoS settings/high priority items if you have set it up.

Then to narrow down the issue, if possible, please borrow a computer with ethernet port and then we can use it to test the wired speed we can get from from the Deco directly. 

Besides, if you use the MAC to connect to the Deco's network, you can click the wifi name connected and press "alt option" key to get the frequency you have connected, whether it is 2.4GHz or 5GHz. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-16 15:21:02 - last edited 2019-07-26 17:03:56

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your reply.

I borrowed a old version macbook pro which can be wired connected to the deco directly.

Below are the wired speed test result and all close to 1000Mbps.

Hope these information can help you to identify the issue.

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-17 07:32:00

@Alan062 

Thanks for your cooperation and reply. 

From the wired speed, the M4 should be working properly. I think it is more related to the wireless negotition speed obtained by wireless devices which affect the actual wifi speed. 

With the mac connected to the 5GHz and get the wireless negotiation speed as 585Mbps, did you test the actual wireless speed you can get? 

Meanwhile, have you tried to simplify the network topology by connecting main Deco to the modem only and test the speed yet? What happened? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M4- How to switch to 5GHz?
2019-07-17 08:42:28

How to test the actual wireless speed? Test the speed through speedtest.net ?

I did tried to simplify the network topology by connecting main Deco to the modem only, but the result of speedtest.net is still around 300 Mbps.

Options
2019-07-20 11:06:43

Hi, i have also this device and the same problem , in wifi the maxi speed is 300 with iperf.

This is my situation. Seems only the 2.4 Ghz is working , though the laptop and the smartphone diplayed 768 Mbs negotiation but is not true.

What can i do?

Thank you

Options
2019-11-13 09:16:32

@Alan062 

Go into More - Router Settings - Wifi Settings - Main Network 

Then select which network preferences you want to use... 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 29275

Replies: 19

Related Articles