821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-11 18:47:20 - last edited 2019-07-11 19:09:14
Model: TL-WN821N  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Bought a 821NV6 today, it keeps disconnecting on Windows 10 when downloading stuff (and sometimes randomly while idle). The symptoms are the exact same as if I manually removed the adapter from the USB port. I have tried it on a windows 7 system and it works fine.

What I have tried:
- every driver on the 821n page

- updating my motherboard's BIOS to the latest release

- installing every updated chipset, LAN and USB driver available for my motherboard and CPU

- disable any power management options in device manager and power plan settings in windows 10

- plugging it into different USB ports while removing every other non essential device - only mouse & keyboard were left.

I'm at a total loss here.

Options
6 Reply
Re:821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10
2019-07-12 06:38:52

@Sentinel1916 

The 821N works fine with Windows 7 means that the device should be well, not faulty; we can do further analsysi and try to fix it.

How often it drops out the connection? How do you make it back to work?

At that time, can you see the network adapter under device manager-network adapter page? 

What about the wireless signal strength? How far away between the computer and main router?

What about other network activities except downloadling? Like web browsing or so?

What about other wireless devices? Do they drop the connection?

How did you install the driver? Use the CD or download the driver from the official website.

Besides, you can refer to the instruction below to do some troubleshooting.
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2241/

What is more, you can find the public driver online with the chipset of the network adapter to give it a go, which is Realtek RTL8192EU.

Options
Re:Re:821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10
2019-07-12 07:34:07 - last edited 2019-07-12 20:43:21

Hello,

It drops the connection usually within 1 minute of starting a download. Uploads seem to be fine, as I've tried to upload multiple videos to youtube and no trouble occurred.

As I said, everytime I start a download, particularly using p2p connections. Sometimes it'll drop using direct downloads as well, but this is rare.

When it drops, I can see the adapter under device manager. It behaves as though I had disconnected it from the usb port. It'll stay disconnected for about 5-10 seconds and reconnect itself immediately after. However, when it does reconnect, I still won't have internet access and have to run the windows troubleshooter diagnostics program, which successfully connects me back to the internet with this report - https://i.imgur.com/Yo4wDIL.png and this log file https://pastebin.com/rZajTFaQ. Additionally, under device manager, TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter will say this under description

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Object Name already exists."

Wireless signal strength is maxed out. The computer is maybe 10-20m away from the router, literally in the next division.

I've had it drop once while simply web browsing. But I couldn't pin point what the cause was, as I wasn't downloading anything.

I have a 721n and yes it does drop the connection on windows 10. That is why I bought the 821n, because it had official drivers and windows 10 support.

I installed the driver through the website https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-wn821n/

I have installed the Realtek chipset driver, it did not solve the issue.

Options
Re:Re:Re:821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10
2019-07-28 07:42:18

Try reloading the drivers for it via device manager/ network adapters and right click the 821n or what it comes up as. Update driver but use browse for drivers then use the let me  pick from a list option. Then choose the Have Disk button and wait for the pop up box then ignore everything in there but the browse button. Choose that then navigate to where you have it's drivers stored. It helped me, it might help you.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10
2019-07-28 15:52:48 - last edited 2019-07-28 15:55:14

Hey, I have tried that. didn't solve it. I managed to solve the problem by going to Device Manager -> TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter Properties -> Advanced -> WiFi Config and switching it to WiFi instead of Performance. By the way, just as a curiosity, what driver version or date do you have installed? I'll try it anyway.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10
2019-07-28 17:04:40

I'm using  the tl-wn821n v3 usb adapter and it's old, i think i bought it back in 2013. That's how old it is lmao. The only driver for it that works for it on win 10 home 1903 is the win8 beta version which states it was created in 2012. I was running win 7 when it started to have throttling and restart problems and I had a usb 3 problem. I thought the usb 3 problem was due to my pc being a dinosaur. It gave me bsods whenever i put the adapter in it. So I sent off a memory dump to the Microsoft community and they looked at it and said it was arthx.dl. The adapter driver. 1 guy said load it from device manager. I did what he said but just ran it under update driver and windows said it has the proper driver installed. That's when i went around it. 

I had uninstalled the driver and rebooted before reinstalling the win beta drivers. That's when my adapter started working again in that usb 3 port again. I put it under download stress by using utorrent which would usually start throttling back the adapter when speeds got up. They got up to 4 mbps and since it's an old pc it's only on 2.4 ghz. Usually it would go hard out, the led light flashing like mad then slow down or freeze or just turn off and hopefully restart. Sometimes it didn't requiring a reinsert. So for it's age and network speeds it hasn't throttled back or frozen. I had looked around like a mad fish for the last 2 weeks. Installed, uninstalled different versions except installing the way i told you to try.

Sheut, i was even thinking my isp was deliberately throttling the adapter back somehow since i use utorrent and speeds did drop a little during the download. Hasn't dropped or frozen or throttled back since reinstalling. I really should put it under a big download to see how it goes but a 12 gig download worked fine for my speed. Averaging 3 mbps to 4 mbps.

For some reason this reply won't let me paste the driver link but it's on this site in their down loads.

Options
Re:821N keeps disconnecting in Windows 10
2022-02-08 21:26:35

@Sentinel1916 

Just wanted to update this by saying that I managed to solve the problem by repeatedly installing drivers until the option "WiFi Config" is exposed. This option is in Device Manager --> TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter --> Advanced. WiFi Config has to be set to WiFI instead of Performance for the problem to be fixed.

One little problem though, I don't know how to reliably expose this option. Sometimes reinstalling the same driver exposes it, sometimes installing a different version will expose it. Currently I'm on the latest stable version available on the website and it's exposed (TL-WN821N_EUUS_V6_181023_Win).

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 14744

Replies: 6