Firmware update in P7+M5 mixed system

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-18 00:30:23
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: P7 - v1.2 & M5 - v1.3 Beta

All,

Just to share what I've observered in my home mesh system which consists of following components: -

Fiber Modem -> P7 (main node) -> P7 (slave #1 thru powerline) -> M5 (slave #2 thru wifi) -> M5 (slave #3 thru powerline) -> M5 (slave #4 thru wifi)

My P7s are running on firmware version 1.2 (build 181210 rel. 34913) which does not have new features such as "signal source" nor WebUI, etc.

My M5s are running on Beta firmware version 1.3.0 (build 190529 rel. 36613) which have those new features except WebUI.

Since my main node is P7, as recommended by TP-Link's FAQ on mixed models setup, I loss some new features due to firmware of v1.2 in P7. Since the system is stable, I kind of live with it!

Now, M5 v1.3.1 is released. I wonder if my system can see the new firmware & update accordingly. The answer is 'No"! Again my main node is on P7. The Deco App - "Update Deco" can only report P7 firmware of 1.2. No info on slave M5 at all!

In order to update M5s to v1.3.1, I had to temporarely made one M5 to be the main node. Then the Deco App can see new firmware 1.3.1.

TP-Link has released few new models on Deco. I don't think they have tested issues on different combinations of mixed models...!

End up we, consumers, become their field testers...!

wafer

Options
5 Reply
Re:Firmware update in P7+M5 mixed system
2019-07-19 05:47:39

I'm patiently waiting for new firmware version for Deco P7 to enjoy new features found in M5 v1.3.1

Options
2019-07-19 08:44:36

I agree have the same issue with m5 v1 en v2 hardware mix. Added a v1 hardware M5 with an old 2017 firmware but it doesn't update the v1.

The M5 software/app should automatically know which device type or hardware is in the network and update firmware accordingly. 

Or and the software/app should allow you to update manulay per device.

Please TP-link this is a basic much needed feature!! 

Options
2019-07-20 21:38:19

I have similar issues with a blended M9 and M5 setup. Firmware updates for the M5 (as it's been pushed a lot recently), and nothing on the M9, which are a far more superior piece of kit.

Options
2019-07-21 07:20:46

@Wafer 

There are several Deco units, including Deco M5, Deco P7, and Deco M4, Deco M9 plus and so on, to build up a Deco mesh network, we make them work with each other. 

For a mesh network with multiple models of Deco, the Deco app push notifications or message for the Deco which works as the main router, that is why you cannot get the firmware available info with M5 works in access point mode; In this way, per you have done, we need setup slave Deco M5 as main router to update the firmware. 

Wish your kindly understanding. 

Options
Re:Re:Firmware update in P7+M5 mixed system
2019-07-21 07:22:59

@Taco 

Deco M5 V1 and V2 use the same firmware, if the V1 does not get the latest firmware, it is suggested to check its country version which is printed on the bottom label of the actual device. 

Meanwhile, for the latest 1.3.1 firmware for Deco M5, Currently the new firmware is partially released. Thus, it’s normal that not all the users will be able to receive the update. But don’t worry, it will be released publicly soon within a week.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1703

Replies: 5