Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-18 21:16:06 - last edited 2020-07-14 02:34:06
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20190115

Recently purchased Archer C6 Router running the latest firmware. On 4 occasions the 2.4G WiFi band has stopped working, devices can connect to it but get no network access. Disabling and enabling the 2.4G band on the admin interface restores the connectivity, the 5G band is not affected, a device connected to it is used to reset the 2.4G band.

I used the chat support service to discuss the issue and the suggestion was to change from automatic to a fixed channel for the 2.4G band, this appeared to resolve the issue but it has happened again today, a phone which only works on 2.4G was showing the WIFI as access denied.

is there anything else I can do to resolve this issue.

StuartP

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores-Solution
2021-03-31 03:31:35 - last edited 2022-01-24 08:59:33

@Hakki 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue again.

Our developer does provide a beta firmware to optimize the 2.4G Wi-Fi performance, you may try to update the firmware based on the region version of your Archer C6 or A6. Beta firmware can be found here:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/271574

Note: We as always strongly recommend our customer upgrade their TP-Link devices to the latest official firmware, you can try the beta firmware posted by our TP-Link Admins/Officials unless the official firmware doesn't resolve the issue you experience.

May it help.

Recommended Solution
Options
580 Reply
Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores
2019-07-24 07:26:34

@StuartP 

Does wired connection or 5GHz work properly when the 2.4GHz stopped working?

At that time, please connect your computer or smart phone to the 2.4GHz and click here to check its IP address and gateway.

Then try to ping the gateway of the C6, which is the LAN IP address of Archer C6 and show us a picture of the ping result. 

Have you ever tried to reset the Archer C6 by holding the reset button/hole for 10s with it powered on? 

Options
Re:Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores
2019-07-24 17:45:35 - last edited 2019-07-24 17:47:25

Wired connection and 5GHz continue to work when the 2.4GHz band stops allowing network (internal and external) access

I will follow the supplied instructions the next time it happens

I have carried out a full factory reset on the router.

Kevin_Z wrote

@StuartP 

Does wired connection or 5GHz work properly when the 2.4GHz stopped working?

At that time, please connect your computer or smart phone to the 2.4GHz and click here to check its IP address and gateway.

Then try to ping the gateway of the C6, which is the LAN IP address of Archer C6 and show us a picture of the ping result. 

Have you ever tried to reset the Archer C6 by holding the reset button/hole for 10s with it powered on? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores
2019-07-25 01:40:19

@StuartP 

Definitely sure, please feel free to reply us with these information.

Meanwhile, may I know when and where did you buy this Archer C6? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores
2019-08-13 17:57:58

My router is currently in the failed state affecting the 2.4Ghz WiFi band only

Wired connections and 5Ghz WiFi are working ok

On my iPad I can see both the 2.4 main and guest networks, if I try to connect I get a message saying wrong password. On a windows 7 laptop  PC I get a message saying Windows was unable to connect. Running the PC diagnostics it resets the laptop WiFi card but can not resolve the issue. Using WiFi Analyser app on an android I can see the WiFi signal, on the information page it shows the main and guest networks are using WPA2 on channels 5+9

I can leave the network in this state for some time, if there’s any additional testing I can carry out.

The router was purchased around a month ago from Amazon

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores
2019-08-14 07:57:59

@StuartP 

Thanks for your reply.

Cause the current wireless devices not able to connect to the 2.4GHz, try to change the wirelss channel of it, even try to hard reset it and verify whether it can connect to the default wireless network. 

Still the same, you can contact Amazon to get a replacement first. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Archer C6 2.4G band stops working, disable then enable restores
2019-08-14 15:42:35

I can get a working 2.4 WiFi on my C6 Router just by disabling and enabling the 2.4 band in the web interface 

The 2.4 band networks (main and guest) are visible on a scan of my network with an android phone, I just cannot connect as it is declined.

As a temporary measure I have added a second older router to provide a working 2.4 band, which means I am free to carry out any tests on the C6 that will provide information on why it has stopped working.

As far as getting a replacement, it would not be straightforward as I was supplied with the C6 by a contractor after giving them another tp link router for a project, it was not directly purchased by me.

Stuart

Options
2019-10-11 07:28:21

@StuartP  I confirm this behavior on several Archer C6 and A6 routers which, I assume, are pretty similar. Seems that it is a firmware issue. Since it happens rarely and spontaneously it is hard to trace the bug. Next time it happens I will experiment on it but for now I believe that we are stuck with it until next firmware update or some alternative firmware publication.

Wetterhahn

Options
2019-10-11 15:49:03

@Wetterhahn 

I updated my archer C6 to the beta build the latest version 19 openwrt firmware and I have not further issues with 2.4G, sometimes the 5G can be an issue but it recovers and I haven't needed to restart the router since I changed.

Options
2019-10-11 17:16:28

@Wetterhahn I have the same problem with 5G band. Some times the clients are connected cannot ping to router IP. 

Options
2020-02-19 16:39:50

I am from the UK and also have this router and have the same problem. It is running Firmware 1.2.1 Build 20200110 rel.60119(4555).

The issue is always the 2.4 side dropping (both main and guest) and nothing is able to connect or reconnect to either main and guest. The access points are visable but nothing can connect. As said before, switching off and on again the 2.4 side fixes the issue until it happens again.

The channel number has been fixed and made auto with no difference in either case.

The guest 2.4 network is used for smart devices and as this was unreliable these now connect to another router. I then switched off the 2.4 guest network leaving the main 2.4 active.

I dont know why but all seems ok now and has been running good for the last few weeks but I do have a scheduled weekly reboot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 105617

Replies: 580

Related Articles