M5 - DHCP / AP / Router mode issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-19 12:07:05
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

Having all kinds of issues when trying to use 2 Deco M5s with my existing Netgear D7800 modem/router.

I have one M5 connected via ethernet to my D7800. If DHCP is enabled on the D7800, the M5 is recognised, and all is well; however, the M5 has to be in router mode (causing the creation of a seperate subnet, leading to all kinds of issues).

If I set the M5 to AP mode, any devices connected to the second M5 - such as my NAS - are not recognised.

If I disable DHCP on the D7800, and have the M5 in router mode, it isn't recognised by the D7800 (to the point it doesn't even appear in connected devices; even though a laptop connected via ethernet does).

Does anyone have any advice please? It's driving me nuts!

Options
3 Reply
Re:M5 - DHCP / AP / Router mode issues
2019-07-21 06:48:01

@FarleyUK_2 

With D7800-Deco m5( AP mode)--Deco M5 (AP mode), what is the IP address and gateway obtained by your NAS when it connects to the 2nd Deco M5? 

What do you mean by the NAS is not recognized with it connected to the 2nd Deco M5? Does it work properly with it connected to the 1st Deco? 

Menawhile, you can configure the D7800 as bridge mode and configure the Deco M5 as the main router, in this way, the D7800 won't be recognized as the online devices on the Deco M5 cause it is the internet source while not the client device in the LAN network. 

Options
Re:Re:M5 - DHCP / AP / Router mode issues
2019-07-21 14:55:32

Kevin_Z wrote

@FarleyUK_2 

With D7800-Deco m5( AP mode)--Deco M5 (AP mode), what is the IP address and gateway obtained by your NAS when it connects to the 2nd Deco M5? 

What do you mean by the NAS is not recognized with it connected to the 2nd Deco M5? Does it work properly with it connected to the 1st Deco? 

Menawhile, you can configure the D7800 as bridge mode and configure the Deco M5 as the main router, in this way, the D7800 won't be recognized as the online devices on the Deco M5 cause it is the internet source while not the client device in the LAN network. 

Hi,

Slight update to things - I've disabled the DHCP in the D7800 and set the internal LAN IP of the main Deco. This has seemed to work in Router mode, and devices can now communicate and work again as the M5 is working as the router and assigning IP addresses (still on the different subnet though).

However... I still cannot access PLEX on the NAS. Very frustrating.

Options
Re:Re:M5 - DHCP / AP / Router mode issues
2020-04-27 00:42:42

I know it's a little late but I'm having the same issue with my netgear. The deco refuses to work in access point mode - all clients don't get an IP address. If the deco is connected I can't connect to the netgear either.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1178

Replies: 3

Related Articles