KC100 occasionally tries to update firmware, already up-to-date. Poor cloud bandwidth.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

KC100 occasionally tries to update firmware, already up-to-date. Poor cloud bandwidth.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-21 05:49:54
Model: KC100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.21

Hello

I am running 2 x KC100 Kasa Spots and a bunch of HS-100 plugs. My issues are with the cameras:

1. Both are updated to latest firmware, but multiple times per day (could be very frequent, I only see this when I open the app) they automatically 're-update' the firmware. This takes forever and the cameras are unavailable for this time. How can I solve this, or perhaps turn off automatic firmware checks/updates?

2. Playing back the captured footage constantly buffers and takes forever, and generally load times in the app for the cameras are slow. I'm assuming this is a lack of upload bandwidth on the Kasa servers, but is there a solution? Can we opt to automatically save a copy of the videos locally on our home network or dropbox/onedrive but still use the Kasa app to interface?

I have reset one of the cameras and re-connected and updated firmware. Same issues.

There are zero issues with my home network signal strength or bandwidth.

Thanks.

Options
4 Reply
Re:KC100 occasionally tries to update firmware, already up-to-date. Poor cloud bandwidth.
2019-07-21 09:24:41 - last edited 2019-07-21 09:25:59

@Nidstang 

The current firmware is 20190311, while it is not the latest one, there is a firmware available to update. 

It is suggested to disable the firewall or anti-virus software on the main router and then try to re-update the firmware. 

If still the same issue, please take a picture of the error message and tell us the model number of the main router. 

Meanwhile, for the clips, you can download it to the local network and play it. 

Note: Go to activity page and click more to download it. 

Options
Re:Re:KC100 occasionally tries to update firmware, already up-to-date. Poor cloud bandwidth.
2019-07-21 16:16:08

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply.

I disabled the router firewall with no luck. Can I manually update the firmware using my PC and USB? I would rather not disable router security settings if I don't need to.

The app does not give any error messages. If I go Settings > Firmware Update > Update (2 available devices) it loads to 100% and then says 'Update Success'. I click OK, the screen now says No Updates Available, and the device tab shows 'Updating firmware...' for each camera. This takes a while, then disappears and the devices reboot and work OK. But then the Firmware Updates will be listed as available again.

The buffering also occurs when trying to first view live footage. In general is there a method to not rely on the cloud server as the primary connection? Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:KC100 occasionally tries to update firmware, already up-to-date. Poor cloud bandwidth.
2019-07-23 08:37:39

@Nidstang 

Thanks for your reply. It seems that the camera failed to update the firmware. 

May I know the mac address of the 2 cameras? Which can be found on the bottom label of the actual device. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:KC100 occasionally tries to update firmware, already up-to-date. Poor cloud bandwidth.
2019-08-01 06:46:38

@Nidstang 

Sorry to respond late, I missed the message you sent.

To solve the current issue, our engineer will email you later. Please check your inbox then.

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1088

Replies: 4