Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-21 20:18:43 - last edited 2019-07-21 20:23:53
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Unknown

Hi all,

Stupid issue, but here goes. Our cat chewed the chord to the charger of our Deco P7.

It is completely impossible to source anything except complete Duo or Trio packages, which would be quite expensive.

I chatted with TP Link support, and their guys said that I could just use a standard phone charger and a USB-C cable. It didn’t work, it wouldn’t even turn on the LED light of the P7 sattelite.

So what now? Can anyone try to see if it works with a stronger charger, like the ones for Ipad’s and such?

brgds

Michael

Options
10 Reply
Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-22 01:13:17

@Michael_DK 

The agent is right, we can use a standard USB type-C cable to power it up with the original power adapter/charger.

If it cannot be powered up with a phone charger and a USB type-C cable, you can swap the power adapter and check whether it can be powered up.

Besides, for Deco P7, the spec related to AC adapter is as below:

POWER
AC adapter input 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz 0.4A
AC adapter output 12V ⎓ 1.2A
Options
Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-22 17:27:09 - last edited 2019-07-22 17:33:00

Thanks for the input Kevin.

The original powersupply unit comes with a fixed cord, so once the cord is destroyed, the complete assembly is destroyed. So I cannot try the original one.

But okay, I will try and source a suitable USB charger with enough “juice” to hopefully match the Deco P7 sattelite.

Ps, I am heavily dependent on the ‘powerline’ feature, due to long distance/low wifi connectivity between the units.

So I guess that I am just a bit surprised to hear that a standard charger can carry the data without causing interference.

update: I have now ordered a cheap 2400mA charger, so we will see if it works.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-24 15:41:49

I think we can guarantee that your powerline backhaul part of the P7 will not work with a 3rd party charger, as the powerline functionality sits in the wall charger, not in the wifi unit if all the other information on this forum is correct. A 3rd party charger has no powerline functionality whatsoever.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-24 18:34:44

Hi Tor,

I completely agree. So imagine my surprise, when TP-LINK support chat suggested this solution.

I even asked specifically if the powerline feature would work with such a solution? To this he repeatedly confirmed that it would work.

Anyway the new charger is soon in my hands, so I can verify myself.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-25 01:29:28 - last edited 2019-07-25 01:35:35

@Michael_DK 

Just found your discussion.

The powerline chipset sits in the charger, so the powerline backhaul won't work without using the original power adapter. 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused here. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-25 11:25:26

Hi kevin,

I see :-( Thanks for your feedback.

Do you know if there are ANY options for buying the charger only, anywhere?

I have searched all over, but without luck.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2019-07-26 08:24:56

@Michael_DK 

Michael, it is hard to say; you can contact the local retailer to check whether they have extra power supply for it. 

Otherwise, there is no single power adapter sold now. 

Options
2019-07-27 20:03:59

Your best option is to cut the cord on both sides of the chewed bit, and connect the cables with a bit of soldering or screw connectors. Chepaer than buying a set of full P7's.

Excellent TP-Service guys. The P7 seems to be unsupported softwarewise (look at the lack of firmware updates in 2019), and a short USB cable that (as opposed to Apples) can be pluggen in to the Power supply, or bought separately?

Regards

Tor

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Broke my charger to Deco P7. What now?
2020-03-22 14:33:09

@Michael_DK 

hi Michael

you said will have soon a new charger 

did you get a replacement of the original tp link charger or a General?

what was the result? Did it work?

I have the same situation, I already tested with different general chargers and didn't work, so I would like to know how your story ended 

regards

Jose

Options
2020-11-03 07:21:12 - last edited 2020-11-03 07:24:48

@Michael_DK Whoever lost a Deco P7 power adapter, this is what you need as a replacement:

1. Power Delivery USB-C wall charger that supports 12V/1.5A or 1.2A

2. USB-C to USB-C cable

Standard phone wall chargers will not work, you need to buy a Power Delivery (PD) capable wall charger.

You will lose the Powerline backhaul for the Deco P7 that does not have the Original power adapter, so I advise to position this unit between the other two if you have a 3 set configuration.

I tried to get a spare part for my broken one, but my local TP-Link support could not help, these adapters are not sold and cannot be bought separately.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2620

Replies: 10

Related Articles