Should I and how do I disable SIP ALG?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-22 07:43:58
Model: TD-W9970  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.2 v0076.0 Build 170919 Rel.61201n

Hello and good day,

I have found some knowledge on amazon that causes me some concern and know very little about as I do not use VOIP yet still wish to be secure as possible within my network.

I came across this review for a TP-Link router/modem (see screenshot below)

If I never use VOIP would it be worthwhile for myself to disable this feature on my router for the peace of mind of extra security or am I giving potential threats (i.e "hackers" or criminals) more to work with if disabled? Will disabling the SIP ALG cause any undesired affects to the rest of my home network stability and internet connection?

Thank you for taking your time, to work this out and help if you feel the desire to respond.

Example 1. Amazon Review - Reason to be concerned?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Should I and how do I disable SIP ALG?
2019-07-23 06:50:03

@User7856 

The SIP ALG is short for SIP Application Layer Gateways, which allows SIP clients and servers to transfer data across NAT. 

It uses port 5060, and it can be disabled if there is no SIP clients using internet; meanwhile, if you worry about the security,  you can disable it and select a suitable port for it and open it up. 

Options
Re:Re:Should I and how do I disable SIP ALG?
2019-07-23 10:57:19

Thank you Kevin,

how do I go about disabling it using my Router/Modem. 

What sub menu would I be looking at?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Should I and how do I disable SIP ALG?
2019-07-24 00:54:07

@User7856 

Check under Network-ALG settings page. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13133

Replies: 3

Related Articles