Disable remote management function for TP-Link ADSL modem router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-22 07:48:23 - last edited 2019-07-22 08:02:53

Hello, I'm trying  to disable remote access on my router cuz of security reason. I'm using this guide https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/308/ and I have a question. I use guide for Web Interface 2 (I have Broadcom) after step two, the guide recommends me to change the password for the "support" account. I never set password for this. Do I have to do this I mean step 3 since I have disabled WEB and have my own password to login to router?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Disable remote management function for TP-Link ADSL modem router
2019-07-23 06:53:22

@Thomas12 

What is the model number of your device? 

Step 3 shows the username and password to access the web interface, they are admin by default. You can customize them or leave it as the same one. 

Options
Re:Re:Disable remote management function for TP-Link ADSL modem router
2019-07-23 12:46:04 - last edited 2019-07-23 12:53:10

I have TD-W8960N.  

As I  understand, if I disable remote access (I mean uncheck WEB option), it should be safe even with the default password right?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Disable remote management function for TP-Link ADSL modem router
2019-07-24 02:28:59

@Thomas1 

With remote management disabled and login password needed, the web UI is secured, while create a complicated login password is a good choice cause the default one is simple password. 

Options
Re:Disable remote management function for TP-Link ADSL modem router
2019-07-24 06:17:37 - last edited 2019-07-24 06:27:19

@Kevin_Z  

I also have a modem like friend Thomas, but I would like to ask about something else. On this screenshot https://www.tp-link.com/resources/images/faq/2011390221140.jpg is shown that I can change the password for three accounts "admin" "suppor"t and "user ". Do I have to change the password for each of them, or just change the password of the "admin" is enough to be safe and unavailable from the Internet? I disabled remote access option too. 

Question 2 If I disabled remote access nobody from the outside (Internet) has a chance to log into the router even with the default password becasue interface for router is inaccessible from the internet am I right?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1818

Replies: 4